City fight back

editorial image

Brechin City 2

Bonnyrigg Rose 2

Brechin City pulled back a two-goal deficit to force their Scottish Cup tie against Bonnyrigg Rose to a replay, writes Amanda Taylor.

There was a new face in the Brechin City line-up after manager Ray McKinnon had secured the services of Graham Hay on loan from Lochee United. The centre back slotted straight in to the side due to Gerry McLauchlan being sidelined through suspension.

City had a few chances early on in the match, but Bonnyrigg had packed out their defence and were able to deal the shots.

Much of the opening period was a midfield battle, as both sides struggled to retain possession for any length of time.

Andy Jackson had a chance to open the scoring after 20 minutes, but his right footed effort could only hit the side netting as it drifted wide of the right hand post.

One minute later, and it was Bonnyrigg with a chance, and after a slight deflection off City centre back, Euan Moyes, Sean GRADY claimed the first goal of the match, which led to several of the away fans celebrating on the pitch.

Four minutes later, Bonnyrigg broke on the counter, and were two on one and looking likely to increase their lead, but after some quick back tracking, Moyes was able to clear the ball.

Ten minutes before the end of the first half Grady had another chance to put Bonnyrigg ahead, but Craig Nelson was on hand to deny him.

City were much more assured in possession in the second half, stringing together some great passing moves, but they were still struggling to break down a stubborn Bonnyrigg defence.

Derek Carcary made an early substitute appearance, replacing David McKenna in the 55th minute, and his pace caused problems for the away side.

However, it was Bonnyrigg who got the next goal in the 58th minute. Former City player, Kris RENTON was on hand to head home a Grady pass to take the score to two nil.

Three minutes later, a mistake from Michael Burgess in the Bonnyrigg goal handed City a tap in. Graham Hay played in the ball and it was completed missed by the ‘keeper, and JACKSON was on hand to guide the ball into the net.

The goal seemed to revitalise City who continued to press in attack, with several efforts going wide.

In the 79th minute, another gifted goal meant a replay. Kurtis Byrne placed a cross into the box from the right hand channel, only for it to deflect of David DUNN for an own goal.

Jackson had a great chance to nick the win in the 89th minute, but Burgess made up for his earlier mistake with a great save.

The replay is scheduled for Saturday, November 10, at 1.30 p.m., with the winner set to face SPL side St Mirren on either December 1 or 2. City’s away match against Albion Rovers has been rescheduled for November 20.