City held to draw in Fife

Andy Jackson's cross is cut out by former Brechin midfielder Darren Smith.'Photo by Derek Watt
Andy Jackson's cross is cut out by former Brechin midfielder Darren Smith.'Photo by Derek Watt

East Fife 2

Brechin City 2

Brechin City’s four-game winning run came to an end at Bayview on Saturday when they shared four goals with East Fife, writes John Hoey.

All of the goals came in a first-half, which City dominated, and the fact that the Fifers had the bulk of possession and pressure after the break probably meant that a share of the spoils was perhaps the fairest result at the end of the day.

Having said that, City had a couple of chances in the last 10 minutes when first Johnny Stewart and then Andy Jackson had clear-cut chances but unfortunately they didn’t take them and the visitors had to be content with a share of the spoils.

City started very strongly, playing with a lot of confidence and they grabbed the lead after just six minutes.

Johnny Brown started the move when he picked up the ball in his own half and then passed to Garry Brady who moved the ball on quickly to Jackson. He then passed it back to Brown who had made strides up the left flank and when his fierce drive came crashing back off the far post, Alan Trouten was on hand to fire the ball past Fifers ‘keeper Calum Antell.

City continued to press in an effort to extend their lead. Two minutes after their opener another fierce drive from Brown was tipped over the bar by Antell.

Derek Carcary had a further of couple of efforts before the hosts equalised very much against the run of play.

Former City midfielder Darren Smith delivered an inswinging corner from the right and ex-St Johnstone and Arbroath striker Collin Samuel rose above the City defence to glance a header beyond Michael Andrews.

City hit right back and they regained the advantage just a couple of minutes later when Carcary collected a pass from Graham Hay and bore in on goal before picking his spot in the net.

City continued to pressurise the home defence but they were shell-shocked eight minutes from the break when the Fifers drew level for the second-time.

There seemed to be little danger when on-loan Livingston wide man, Bobby Barr, picked up the ball on the left, but he then cut inside before unleashing a superb right-footed drive which sailed into the top corner of the net, giving City ‘keeper Andrews absolutely no chance.

Half-time: East Fife, 2; Brechin City, 2.

The Fifers dominated the second-half without creating anything clear-cut in front of goal and City were a shade unlucky not to sneak a win right at the death when substitute Johnny Stewart and then Jackson uncharacteristically scorned decent opportunities.

Teams: Brechin City - Andrews, McLean, Brown, Hay, McGlauchlan, Fusco (J.Stewart), Trouten, Brady, Jackson, McKenna (Dalziel), Carcary (R.Stewart). Not used - Murdoch and Nelson. Bookings - Fusco.

East Fife - Antell, McCormack, Durie, Willis, White, Campbell, Barr, McManus (Gormley), Samuel (Jamieson), Smith, McBride. Not used - Pollock, Sloan and Brown. Bookings - White and Barr.