City make a point

Charlie King celebrates with Craig Molloy, Gary Fusco and Paul McManus after scoring Brechin's penalty. (Picture by Derek Watt).
Charlie King celebrates with Craig Molloy, Gary Fusco and Paul McManus after scoring Brechin's penalty. (Picture by Derek Watt).

Stenhousemuir 1, Brechin City 1

Brechin City picked up a valuable away point against Stenhousemuir on Saturday, despite going down to ten men after 35 minutes when midfielder Bryan Hodge was red-carded by referee Brian Colvin.

City still sit in second bottom place in the second division table, but they are just three points behind fourth placed East Fife and manager Jim Weir insists that there is all to play for.

“There is no doubt that this is a tough league,” he said.

“We’ve got to do better in this quarter than we did in the last one and we certainly have the players at the club to do that.

“We’re not making excuses but we’ve been without a number of key players this season and we lost a bit of the spine from last season’s team but I have full belief in the players that have come in as they have proven track records.”

“I am sure that in the forthcoming weeks, Brechin City will begin to produce the results we know that they’re capable of.”

Stenny started strongly and put pressure on the City defence from the outset with Andy Rodgers, Stewart Kean and Stephen Murray all having early chances.

However, City weathered the early storm and grabbed the lead from the penalty-spot in the 29th minute.

A good move between Charlie King and Craig Molloy created a goal-scoring opportunity for Bryan Hodge who was brought down in the box by Warriors full-back Willie Lyle.

Despite the fact that Hodge seemed set to score, referee Brian Colvin merely booked the full-back and Charlie King stepped up for the second week in succession to convert the resultant penalty.

City were dealt a body-blow six minutes later when Hodge was sent off by referee Colvin after what appeared to be an innocuous foul on Eric Paton.

Stenny then put pressure on the Brechin defence and Craig Nelson brought off a great save to deny Rodgers in the 37th minute but he was helpless to stop the Warriors equalising just five minutes before the break.

Paton played a pass forward to Sean Dickson on the left touchline, and the full-back cut slightly in before unleashing a superb left-foot drive which soared into the bottom corner of the net.

Despite having a numerical advantage, the hosts failed to put any real pressure on the City defence after the break and the visitors had the best of the few goal-scoring opportunities.

Paul McManus was desperately unlucky when he just failed to connect with a Scott Smith cross in the 79th minute and substitute Graham Weir who had replaced goal-scorer King in the 76th minute had a shot deep into injury-time deflected for a corner.

Stenhousemuir - McCluskey, Lyle, Corrigan, McMillan (McKinlay), Dickson, Ferguson, Paton, Iain Thomson (Paul Quinn), Murray, Rodgers and Kean.

Brechin City - Nelson, McLean, Buist, Dunlop, Smith, Molloy (McClune), Fusco, Janczyk, Hodge, King (Weir) and McManus (David Crawford).

Referee – Brian Colvin; crowd – 681.

Looking ahead, Brechin City don’t have far to travel in the coming weeks.

This coming Saturday, they are at home to current league leaders Cowdenbeath, then Saturday, November 5 sees them make the short trip to Forfar for the latest derby fixture.

The two games thereafter are at Glebe Park, entertaining Albion Rovers on November 12 and East Fife on November 26.