City on par with the opposition

Charlie King signals to some of the Brechin support after scoring. (Picture by Derek Watt).

Charlie King signals to some of the Brechin support after scoring. (Picture by Derek Watt).

Have your say

BRECHIN City held Dunfermline to a respectable draw at Glebe Park last Tuesday evening.

Dunfermline, who won promotion to the SPL last season, fielded former Celtic player Stephen O’Donnell as a trialist at right-back.

Scott Buist heads just wide from a Neil Janczyk corner.

Scott Buist heads just wide from a Neil Janczyk corner.

For City, fan-favourite Charlie King returned after a year out due to injury, coming on as a sub in the 68th minute.

King was on the score-sheet, equalising from a penalty eight minutes from time to secure the draw, after Andy Kirk had opened the scoring in the 27th minute.

Brechin were keen to attack the visiting Pars, with Gary Fusco forcing a save from Paul Gallagher, his deflected drive stopped by the keeper in the fourth minute.

Dunfermline’s first real opportunity came in the 18th minute when they won a free kick at the edge of the box, but Nelson easily saved Martin Hardie’s shot.

Three minutes later, Brechin came close when Scott Buist headed just past the post from a Garry Brady corner.

Dunfermline then took the lead in the 27th minute. Cardie played a good through ball to Kirk, who drove the ball underneath Nelson and into the net.

Cardie came close himself just before half-tim, with his shot from the edge of the box being palmed out for a corner.

Brechin made three substitutions at half-time, bringing on David Scott, Brian Fairbrain and Derek Carcary for Nelson, Molloy and McKenna.

Dunfermiline made one change, bringing on Liam Buchanan for Barrowman.

Dunfermline had two great chances to increase their advantage but were unable to find the net.

Buchanan received a good pass from Kirk, but he shot past the post with the goal at his mercy.

Kirk himself then had a chance six minutes later but he also saw his shot go past the wrong side of the post.

Buchanan had another chance in the 77th minute when a Willis cross found him in space, but his header was wide of the target.

Brechin drew level five minutes later after they were awarded a penalty when Dunfermline keeper Gallagher brought Fairbrain down in the box. Substitute Charlie King stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

Brechin had the last clear opportunity of the game, with Neil Janczyk firing a free-kick from the edge of the box just over the bar, two minutes from time.

Brechin City - Nelson (Scott), McClune, Dunlop, McLean (Janczyk), Buist, Brady, Molloy (Fairbrain), Fusco, McManus (King), Weir (Potter) and Mckenna (Carcary).

Dunfermline Athletic - Gallagher, O’Donnell (Dowie), McCann, Mason, Rutkiewicz, Keddie, Willis, Hardie, Barrowman (Buchanan), Kirk (Graham) and Cardie.

Referee: Frank McDermott; Attendance: 342.