City’s unbeaten run comes to an end

Darren Taylor, Ray McKinnon and Grant Johnson.
Darren Taylor, Ray McKinnon and Grant Johnson.

Brechin City welcomed Ayr United to Glebe Park today (Saturday) as they looked to continue their unbeaten league record.

City were without Callum Tapping, who has been a revelation since he joined the club, after he picked up an injury against Stirling Albion last week.

There was little in the way of clear cut chances in the first half, although both sides forced a handful of saves from the goalkeepers.

City took the lead four minutes in to the second half, when a fine square ball from Andy Jackson left Alan Trouten with an easy tap in after the Ayr defence were caught napping.

However, City conceded a penalty just moments later, with the ball hitting the arm of a City player. The referee, Gavin Duncan, had no idea whose arm and after discussing with both assistant referees issued a yellow card to Greg Cameron.

Scott McLaughlin was then finally able to take the spot kick which he duly converted.

City could have regained their lead in the 56th minute but Hutton pulled of a beautiful save to deny Trouten, tipping the ball over the cross bar for a corner and Colin Hamilton saw his headed effort saved from the resulting kick.

However, it was Jamie Masson who regained the lead for City with a fine effort from outside the penalty area.

Brechin’s joy was short-lived however, as Cameron was shown a second yellow following a poor challenge.

Ayr made the most of their one man advantage and pulled themselves level in the 73rd minute, thanks to Craig Beattie who prodded the ball home form close ranger, after Smith had pulled off a fine save to deny Slane.

A killer blow came for City in the 85th minute, when the referee awarded Ayr second penalty after Jamie McCormack handled the ball in the box. McLaughlin stepped up and converted the penalty, despite Smith diving the right way.

Beattie sealed up the win for Ayr in the dying minutes of the match, netting past an advancing Smith.