City steal a point in Alloa

Equaliser: Andy Jackson heads home the equalising goal for Brechin.'Picture by Derek Watt
Equaliser: Andy Jackson heads home the equalising goal for Brechin.'Picture by Derek Watt

Brechin showed grit and determination to steal a point at Recreation Park on Saturday when they travelled to take on Alloa, writes Amanda Taylor.

Having scored 18 goals in just four games, it always seemed likely that City would score.

Derek Carcary had a chance to put City in to the lead in the first 10 minutes, when he got a left footed shot away, but unfortunately his was just wide of the target.

Kurtis Byrne delivered two great corners after 15 minutes, but City were unable to capitalise on the set piece, with Alloa cleaning the danger.

Despite the early chances in the opening 15 minutes, the game seemed to settle for a spell, with neither side seeing any clear cut chances.

It was two minutes from half-time before the deadlock was broken - and it was the home fans celebrating a one nil lead when Kevin Cawley headed home a Mark Docherty cross.

Alloa almost made it two nil before the half time whistle, but Craig Nelson was on hand to deny Ryan McCord a goal.

Half-time: Alloa Athletic 1, Brechin City 0.

Paul McLean seen a great attempt tipped over the bar ten minutes in to the second half. The City right-back shot from the right hand side of the penalty area, but Scott Bain in the Alloa goal, was able to push the ball from danger.

Seven minutes later, Alloa increased their lead when Martin Greehan pounced on a ball from Cawley, and unleashed a left footed shot past Craig Nelson.

However, Alloa weren’t able to get too comfortable, as City pushed to reduce the deficit.

On the 69th minute, just two minutes after Alloa went two nil up, a somewhat contentious goal handed City a life line.

It seemed to be Jonathan Brown who scored with a sublime right footed effort from 25 yards out - which would make it his second goal in as many games. However, City’s goal machine, Andy Jackson claimed that he got a touch on the ball.

There was no debating who got City’s second, and equalising goal, as Jackson rose above the Alloa defence to head home an Alan Trouten corner in the 83rd minute.