City sting the Wasps

David McKenna volleys in the first goal of the afternoon for Brechin.'Photo By Derek Watt
David McKenna volleys in the first goal of the afternoon for Brechin.'Photo By Derek Watt

Brechin City 3

Alloa Athletic 2

Brechin City were able to forget about a saved penalty when they emerged winners against Alloa at Glebe Park on Saturday, writes Amanda Taylor.

In a match billed as the division’s fixture of the day, City and the Wasps made sure the game lived up to expectations with five goals scored and two penalties awarded during the match.

The home side scored three goals, but it should have been four with Scott Dalziel having an effort chalked off after the Alloa ‘keeper, Scott Bain, was down injured in the dying minutes of the match. The officials awarded a free kick instead of a goal, but City still ended the match with a deserved win.

David McKenna continued his habit of netting spectacular goals as he opened the scoring after four minutes. A fine right footed volley had the fans delighted, and handed City an early lead against a side second in the league.

Alloa hit back in the 17th minute when Kevin Cawley slotted home a Mark Doherty pass.

Cawley had a chance to put the visitors in the lead just two minutes later, but he was unable to hit the target this time.

In the 23rd minute, Alloa narrowly missed taking the lead when Graeme Holmes hit the post.

Three minutes later, the visitors pressed again and Cawley came close, but Michael Andrews was on hand to deny the striker.

Brechin were handed a chance to take the lead in the 33rd minute, when Daryll Meggat hand balled in the box, but some great goalkeeping by Bain denied the home side the lead. Bain firstly parried McKenna’s spot kick, before going on to make another save to deny McKenna a goal from the rebound.

Alloa were then awarded a penalty five minutes later after Nicky Low was deemed to have been fouled in the box by Gerry McLauchlan, and Ryan McCord made no mistake from the spot.

McKenna had a chance to pull City level in the 41st minute, but Meggatt was on hand to block his effort.

Half-time: Brechin City 1, Alloa Athletic 2.

Alan Trouten proved to be a ‘super sub’ when he replaced McLauchlan at the start of the second half. After just five minutes on the pitch, Trouten put City level when he got on the end of an Andy Jackson pass and fired the ball in to the back of the net.

The Wasps seemed to be spurred on by the equaliser but their chance of going back in front in the 54th minute failed with Holmes unable to find a way past Andrews.

Both Jonathan Brown and Carcary had chances to put City in the lead in the 73rd minute, but Bain, who was in fine form in the Alloa goal, was on hand to deny City.

Ten minutes later, City took the lead when Jackson hit the back of the net. Scott Dalziel, who replaced McKenna in the 78th minute, set up Jackson, the club’s top scorer this season.

The victory sees Brechin City extend the gap to five points between themselves and fourth placed Forfar, with City still to play their postponed game against Ayr United.

Speaking after the game, manager Ray McKinnon said: “We had as many chances as Alloa in the first half, although they perhaps shaded it.

“At half-time I spoke about the run we have been on and the discipline and determination we have shown and my players went out and did it again in the second half.

“It was a game between two on form teams and I knew it would be a great game.

“We want to keep our run going and we will approach every game with the same enthusiasm.”

Alan Trouten, who picked up a knock against Forfar, was a doubt heading into the game, but made a second half appearance and bagged himself a goal. Speaking about the player, Mr McKinnon said: “Alan Trouten has been out with a groin injury but he declared himself fit. He is an impact player and made a difference.”

In the build up to the clash against Alloa, City were bolstered by the news that centre back Graham Hay has completed a permanent transfer to the club until the end of the season, having previously been on loan to City from Lochee United.