Cup success for Vics

Lochee United 1
Brechin Vics 2

Vics were up against Super League opponents Lochee United in this first round match of the East of Scotland Cup.

They produced a magnificent performance to progress to the next round.

Young was first to threaten when he sent a shot from 25 yards just wide of the target.

Lochee had a great chance on five minutes when Sturrock failed to connect properly and Robbie smothered his effort.

A mistake in the Vics defence allowed Lochee another chance, but this time it sailed over Robbie’s cross bar.

The game settled down and was very even and it wasn’t until 18 minutes that the next chance was created. This time it was Mckay who had an effort, but his angled shot hit the post and went behind for a goal kick.

A long Robbie clearance on 24 minutes gave Young an opportunity but Gray in the Lochee goal got a foot to the shot before it was cleared.

The home side showed how dangerous they could be when Robbie was required to make a good save from Kirk.

Vics took a deserved lead on 35 minutes when a McKay header came back off the cross bar and Young reacted quickest to prod the ball past the keeper from six yards.

They almost extended their lead when McKay saw his goal bound shot blocked before Steel smashed the follow up over the bar.

Half-time: Lochee United 0, Brechin Vics 1.

Lochee came quickly out of the traps in the second half and Robbie saved with his feet from Martin.

Vics settled again with the next 20 minutes being played in the middle of the park and chances were at a premium.

Lochee thought they had equalised on 65 minutes but Robbie produced a great double save to thwart Martin.

They did equalise on 67 minutes when Kirk slotted into the net after Robbie made another good save from an angled drive.

The set back didn’t affect Vics and McKay should have done better on 70 minutes when he was set up by Young.

A goalmouth scramble almost gave Lochee the lead but the Vics defence stood up manfully to clear the danger.

The visitors introduced Fertacz for Dunn on 75 minutes and almost immediately he was in action when his shot from 20 yards produced a great save from Gray in the Lochee goal.

King took the resultant corner kick and Strachan met his kick at the near post to head high into the corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Lochee had the ball in the net on 85 minutes but the referee ruled out the goal due to a foul on the ‘keeper.

It was Vics who finished the stronger and thought they had scored a third when King teed up Fertacz who scored from eight yards only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, Wilson, Whitworth, Ross, Steel, McKay, Strachan, Dunn, King and Young. Subs: S. Eaton, Fertacz, Renilson, Mitchell and Main.

A club spokesperson said: “A excellent performance from Vics with every player playing their part. Manager Charlie King got his tactics spot on and they fully deserved their victory against a team who play in two divisions higher.

“Vics have a free week on Saturday, September 13. Their next fixture is an away league game against Newburgh on Saturday, September 20, with a 2.30 p.m. kick off.”