Derby delight for on song City

Brechin City won their first league match in seven outings as they deservedly beat Angus neighbours Arbroath by 3-1 at Glebe Park.

Incredibly, it was City’s first win since August 24 when they beat Forfar Athletic by 2-1 at the Glebe.

Saturday’s win was thoroughly deserved, with City maintaining the good form they had shown against Rangers the previous week – but this time, with a different outcome.

Manager Ray McKinnon made a couple of changes to the side that had been so unlucky to go down to Rangers.

Alan Trouten had to sit out because of suspension, while Gerry McLauchlan dropped down to the bench.

Into the side came midfielders Craig Molloy and Steven Robb.

Arbroath started really brightly, and totally dominated the early stages without creating anything clear-cut in front of goal, but City held firm, and as the half wore on they gradually began to take control of the game and exert a lot of pressure on the Lichties’ defence.

City were desperately unlucky not to open the scoring after 32 minutes when Andy Ryan played in Andy Jackson, whose volley cannoned back off the post, and a couple of minutes later, Scott Morrison in the Arbroath goal brought off a great save from a Molloy header.

However, City made the vital breakthrough six minutes before half-time.

Ryan collected the ball at the left side of the visitors penalty-box, and as he tried to get past Arbroath full-back David Banjo, he was unceremoniously brought down.

Referee Barry Cook immediately pointed to the penalty-spot, and defender Graham Hay stepped up to blast home a perfect spot-kick.

City continued from where they had left off after the break, and they doubled their lead in the 61st minute.

A superb pass from Robb put Ryan in the clear, and the on-loan Hamilton Accies striker kept his cool to round the ‘keeper and slot the ball home.

It was virtually one-way traffic towards the Arbroath goal after this, with the Lichties rarely seen as an attacking-force, but they dramatically pulled a goal back after 71 minutes very much against the run of play.

Alan Cook picked up the ball wide on the left and took a couple of steps before unleashing a blistering left-foot drive which flew into Graeme Smith’s left-hand corner.

This goal gave Arbroath the lift they had been looking for, and they piled on the pressure in an effort to grab the equaliser.

However, the City defence weathered the storm, and the hosts hit back to wrap up the points in style deep into injury-time.

Substitute Bobby Barr picked up the ball wide on the right and flighted a perfect pass into the Arbroath box for fellow substitute Derek Carcary, who hit home a great first-time volley into the roof of the net.