Disappointing performance from Vics

Have your say

Brechin Vics travelled to Perthshire on a bright but cold afternoon to take on Scone Thistle.

Gourlay was first to threaten for Vics but his shot was saved.

They had a good passage of play involving Ferguson and King, which presented Renilson with a chance but his shot from 18 yards was saved.

Scone were proving a handful and were causing the Vics defence problems but they restricted them to long range efforts.

The home side took the lead on 22 minutes when McCallum was allowed to turn and shoot low into the corner of the net from 18 yards.

Vics tried to retaliate immediately and Strachan had a good chance but his cross come shot went wide of the far post.

They continued to look for the equaliser and had further efforts from a Gourlay shot and an effort from McKay who was put through in on goal but both effort were saved by the ‘keeper.

Scone came close on 40 minutes when McCallum headed over from 10 yards out.

Half-time: Scone Thistle 1, Brechin Vics 0.

Robbie was brought into action for Vics within two minutes of the restart saving a shot from 18 yards.

Strachan came close with a header from a King free kick on 60 minutes.

The game was swinging from end to end but with very little being created by the way of chances.

Scone extended their lead on 75 minutes, when Gourlay was adjudged to have committed a foul and a penalty kick was awarded, and Ballingall sent Robbie the wrong way from the spot kick.

As Vics pressed to get back into the game they were caught by a sucker punch on 85 minutes when Hynd was put clear in on goal and slotted the ball passed Robbie to complete the scoring.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, Cairney, McCulloch, Strachan, McKay, Steel, Ferguson, King and Renilson. Subs: S. Eaton, Dunn, Barclay, Henderson and Harrison.

A spokesman for the club commented: “A disappointing performance from Vics especially the second half. Improvement is a must starting on Saturday, November 16, with their home League fixture against Downfield. Kick off is at 2 p.m.”