Draw not enough to go top of the league

Brechin Under-13s 2

St Andrews 2

Following Brechin City Youths Under-13s’ win over Monfieith, the side needed to secure all three points in their home match against St Andrews to go top of the league.

Brechin started the match well and the first 10 minutes was fairly even, being played out mainly in the midfield. As the game progressed St Andrews took a stranglehold of the match and exerted a lot of pressure on the back four of Brechin.

From a free kick out wide St Andrews fired a dangerous ball into the area and the away striker was first to react to give his side the lead.

They took confidence from this and were looking likely to extend their lead. They duly did so when a through ball wasn’t dealt with and the resultant chance was easily scored to put Brechin two down.

Brechin gradually came back into the game, upping their work rate and starting to turn things around but without seriously troubling the St Andrews keeper before half time.

Half-time: Brechin Under-13s 0, St Andrews 2.

Brechin came out like a different side for the second half, working hard to win possession and using the ball effectively. A couple of changes were made and the team shape altered and suddenly they were looking the more likely team to score.

Brechin were given a lifeline with just over 10 minutes to play when a push in the back by a St Andrews defender saw a penalty awarded. The penalty was confidently converted by Finlay Keith with a powerful strike to the ‘keeper’s right.

Straight from kick off St Andrews broke and only an outstanding reaction save from Tyler Webley kept Brechin in the game.

Normal service was resumed as Brechin forced St Andrews back desperately looking for an equaliser. This almost came when Fraser Jamieson ran from the halfway line and finding himself straight through on the ‘keeper.

Everyone watched on as his finish rolled agonisingly wide of the far post.

Brechin were carrying the momentum and got the equaliser they deserved in the last minute.

Jamieson took the ball wide on the left and embarked on a run taking him past three players and into the box. As the keeper closed him down, Jamieson slotted the ball into the far corner to send his team mates wild in delight in an exciting climax to a superb second half display.

A club spokesperson sad: “Every credit goes to all of the players for overcoming the disappointment of going two down to put in a huge performance in the second half. Every lad played their past and nobody should be singled out in what was a great all round display.”