Extra-time k.o. for City in goal feast

There was further cup disappointment for Brechin at the weekend as they lost to Clyde in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

Having lost to Falkirk the previous week in the Ramsden Cup, the Reds crashed four-two to Clyde, with a dramatic four goals scored during extra-time, in what was a poor performance from an under-par City.

Clyde started strongly, and almost scored within a minute, with McDonald coming close following an Irvine cross.

In the fifth minute, City had a corner which Jancyzk swung into the danger area but it was dealt with by the visiting defence.

Clyde had a dangerous corner of their own ten minutes later, but City were saved by the referee who judged McClune to have been fouled at the back post.

Weir had a chance a minute later but he disappointingly dragged his shot past the post.

Cusack had the next clear chance of the game, with Nelson saving well.

City then settled and had a chance of their own, with Hutchison brought into action by McKenna, with the keeper saving well.

Brechin then went a goal down.

Sweeney sent a long throw into the area, and under pressure, Gerry McLaughlan put the ball high into his own net in the 20th minute.

City fought back however, and six minutes later, equalised well, with McKenna smashing the ball past Hutchison and into the top corner from inside the box.

McKenna had Brechin’s next chance in the 33rd minute, but put his shot past the near-hand post from the right-hand side of the penalty area.

Carcary had a similar chance a couple of minutes later but put his shot wide too.

With the scores at one-a-piece at half time, the second half turned out to be disappointing.

McManus came on in the 68th minute and came close less than a minute later, but put his shot wide from inside the box.

Archdeacon came on for Clyde five minutes later, but it was Hay who caused Brechin more problems, having a couple of chances, but none which tested the home side too much.

Buist and Janczyk both had chances late on in the half, but were unable to find the target, before Charlie King came on with five minutes of normal time left, for what would be an incredible spell of extra-time.

Just two minutes into the extra half hour, Brechin were awarded a penalty for handball by McQueen.

Craig Molloy stepped up for City, but blasted the ball over the bar, to the disapointment of the home fans.

This proved to be the turning point in the game, and Buist was sent off four-minutes-later for a foul on Archdeacon in the box, following good link-up play with Cusack.

Sweeney made no mistake for Clyde from the spot.

Archdeacon then all-but-finished the game in the 105th minute, when he slotted home with his left foot from inside the box, just before the end of the first half of extra-time.

Charlie King spurred some hope in Brechin in the 114th minute when he netted with his left foot to set up an interesting last few minutes.

Iain Gray finally finished Brechin off, however, when he was released by Gray and put the ball past Nelson with just two minutes left, in what was a poor overall display by City.

Brechin City: Nelson, McClune, Dunlop, McLauchlan, Buist, McKenna (McManus), Brady, Janczyk, Carcary (King), Molloy and Weir (Lister). Clyde: Hutchison, Gray, Sharp, Scullion, McQueen, Neill, Sweeney (Tully), Irvine, Hay, McDonald (Brown) and Cusack.