Focus now on strong league finish after cup defeat

Brechin City Youths Under-13s were on their travels for the third successive week to face a very physical Logie side in this Diamond Jubilee cup quarter final.

Brechin played into the wind in the first half and looked fairly comfortable with the defence and ‘keeper dealing with most that came their way, the midfield battling hard and the striker looking dangerous and troubling the Logie defence.

Logie’s play was concentrated down the right and left back Connor Scott did well to contain them. A series of corners for Logie eventually led to them taking the lead when the ball broke to the edge of the box and was finished into the bottom corner.

The Brechin players were enduring some late heavy challenges but to their credit stuck to their task and were not intimidated, going in one down at half time.


Logie Under-13s 1

Brechin Under-13s 0

The second half started with Brechin taking the game to their opponents and looking to make use of the following wind. Within five minutes of the restart they equalised when after a spell of pressure the ball broke to captain Fraser Jamieson who struck a fine effort past the keeper from around 25 yards.

They took confidence from the goal and were pushing forward looking to build on their good start. As they did so they looked vulnerable to the break and at times the defence looked shaky.

This proved to be the case when a couple of poor decisions in succession gifted the ball to the Logie striker who turned his marker before firing a powerful strike high past Tyler Webley in the Brechin goal.

Logie continued to put in some dangerous late challenges, picking up yellow cards and forcing Oliver Yates off injured with several others needing attention.

Brechin started to move the ball forward too quickly as they desperately sought another equaliser and as they pushed forward, on more than one occasion Logie broke through. Only a number of great saves by Webley kept Brechin in the game.

As the clock ran down Brechin were awarded a free kick around 22 yards out. Kieran Longmuir stepped up and curled a great effort just past the post in what was the last chance of the game.

A club spokesperson said: “The boys kept their cool under intense provocation from their opponents and only poor composure and decision making cost them the game. Mentions must be given to Tyler Webley in goal as well as Kieran Longmuir and James Williamson in centre midfield as they stood up to the physical challenge set down before them. Now the focus is on finishing the league campaign strongly.”