Great away day

Blairgowrie 0, Brechin Vics 3

BRECHIN Vics recorded a fine there-nil away victory at Blairgowrie on Saturday.

They travelled Perthshire minus the injured Young, who damaged an ankle in their midweek friendly win over Montrose Roselea and will miss the rest of the season. Rodger was his replacement.

Vics dominated from the start and had a great chance after two minutes, when Scott was played in on goal but his shot from 14 yards was high and wide.

McNaught was next to try his luck but his shot from 18 yards was saved by the keeper.

From the resultant corner-kick from an Easton header was cleared off the line with the keeper beaten.

Vics were dealt a reminder of Blair’s threat when they had to clear a dangerous back post free-kick.

Vics took a deserved lead in the 22nd minute. A long Robbie goal-kick cleared the Blair defence, allowing McNaught to run through and slot the ball passed the advancing keeper from 16 yards.

Vics extended their lead two minutes later. A McNaught cross was met on the volley by Rodger. The keeper could on parry, allowing Scott the easiest chances of scoring from four yards.

Vics almost extended their lead when a ball into the Blair box caused a scramble six yards out, but somehow Blair were able to clear.

Vics came even closer ten minutes from the break, when a C. Eaton cross from the left found S. Eaton but his header some six yards went just wide of the target.

P. Ross was pulling the strings in midfield and created another chance for Scott but his effort failed to test the keeper.

Just as half-time was approaching Robbie produced a good double save.

Vics started the second half on top and had a great chance to extend their lead two minutes in, after Rodger was bundled in the box and a penalty kick was awarded.

McNaught’s spot-kick was saved by the Blair keeper.

Vics were still the dominant team in the second half and the defence of Cairney, Gourlay and C. Eaton were keeping the Blair attack to long range efforts and long balls into the box, which were being dealt with by Robbie.

The second half was very stop-start as Blair began to lose their discipline, with some hefty challenges being made in the middle of the park.

Vics were working hard to retain their own discipline and to continue to focus on playing football.

They introduced Fyfe and Buggins for Rodger and S. Eaton midway through the half.

Vics were still the better team but could not get that elusive third goal which would have killed the game.

Cooper came on for Gauld with 15 minutes remaining and made an immediate impact when he smashed the ball past the keeper from 14 yards after Blair had failed to clear an Easton free-kick.

Vics saw out the remaining 1ten minutes to record an well deserved victory.

Team- Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, P. Ross, Cairney, S. Eaton, Gauld, Easton, McNaught, Scott and Rodger; subs - Buggins, Fyfe, Cooper, Robertson and Laing.

This was a good performance from Vics as they pressured Blairgowrie from the first minute and recorded a deserved three points.

Vics played with a desire and hunger which has been missing over the last few weeks.

They are on their travels othis Saturday, when they meet Forfar Albion and will require the same level of performance in order to gain the three points (kick-off 2.30 pm).