Hard-fought match ends in Brechin victory

Brechin City Youths Under-15s came out on top in this hard fought match at Claypotts, Dundee.

After winning the toss, Brechin elected to play with a strong wind and with the sun behind them in the first half of the match.

Keen to keep up the pressure in the league race, the early play was dictated by the Brechin boys, with Doan and Duncan linking up well in midfield to feed Irvine and Anderson up front.

City took the lead after 18 minutes when a corner by Anderson was flicked on by Irvinem and Campbell met the low cross with a superb header lifting the ball over the top of the ‘keeper, and into the left hand corner of the net.

And just three minutes later, Irvine got his name on the scoresheet for Brechin’s second of the day.

Duncan collected the ball in midfield and set Irvine free down the right hand side.

Irvine cleverly rounded the ‘keeper before calmly slotting the ball into the empty net.

Brechin were making all the play now, and they extended their lead even further on the half hour.

From yet another attack, the boys secured a corner.

Anderson stepped up and, using the wind to assist, he crossed the ball straight into the net past the helpless defence.

Minutes from half time, Duncan met a cross and from three yards out, but somehow managed to lift the ball over the bar.

Half-time: Broughty, 0

Brechin Under-15s, 3

Broughty came out fighting in the second half, driving down the right and trying to use the wind to their advantage.

Brechin, however, stood firm and, in turn, drove at the Broughty defence.

A midfield battle then ensued with both teams desperately trying to find a way through.

The deadlock was broken by Irvine, who picked up the ball in midfield and then drove the ball ahead, showing a tremendous turn of speed which left the Broughty defence standing.

He drove hard down the right, cut inside, and sent the ball low and hard past the out coming ‘keeper for a superb individual goal.

However, the Brechin boys were caught napping straight from the restart, with Broughty chasing down the right and slotting the ball past the Brechin ‘keeper.

This galvanised the Brechin team, who immediately set about regaining their four-goal lead with their fifth of the day.

And it all started with Irvine again, driving down the right from the restart and driving a low, hard cross across the goalmouth.

Anderson calmly controlled the ball and tapped it past the ‘keeper into the net to make the final score 5-1 to Brechin.

Team: Sim, Somerville, Barreiro, Church-Forbes, Smith, Irvine, Doan, Duncan,Booth,Anderson, Campbell, Szyjut, Hay and Carle.