Heartbreak for Brechin after cup game goes to penalties

Pictured is Charlie King
Pictured is Charlie King

(Blairgowrie won 4-3 on penalties)

Brechin Vics narrowly lost out on going through to the next round of the GA Engingeering Cup, after Blairgowrie won 4-3 on penalties.

The visitors were the first to threaten when a dangerous ball across the Vics’ six-yard line was scrambled to safety.

Much of the play was confined to midfield, with Vics having more of the ball.

The home side played some neat passing from the back, but were struggling to create any clear cut chances, as the final ball was lacking.

A good run by C. Eaton in the 25th minute saw him impeded and a free kick awarded 25 yards from goal.

King took the kick, but his shot lacked power and was saved by the Blairgowrie ‘keeper.

Strachan was next to have an attempt for Brechin, but his shot hit the side netting after being set up by King.

Vics were now creating chances, and a neat head flick from Strachan went across the Blair goal, but there were no takers for Vics.

They continued to press and came even closer on 32 minutes when Barclay was sent clear on goal, but the Blair ‘keeper was quick off his goal line and saved his shot.

Vics’ ‘keeper Robbie had little to do.

Half-time Brechin Vics, 0; Blairgowrie, 0

Blairgowrie took the lead on 49 minutes when a corner from the right was met at the back post by their number four, who headed high into the corner of the net.

This stunned Vics into action and a Barclay cross was met by the head of King, but his attempt was saved.

The visitors extended their lead on 60 minutes after Vics failed to clear their lines properly. The ball was played out wide, and when the cross came in, the number eight smashed the ball past Robbie from eight yards.

Vics’ reply was instant when, within a minute of the restart, they pulled a goal back.

A good through ball from Strachan found King, who expertly lobbed the advancing ‘keeper from some 25 yards.

They had their tails up at this point, and Barclay twice came close within five minutes - first with a shot which went over the bar, and the second when he was just wide from a cross from King.

Vics were reduced to 10 men when Barclay was sent off for a second yellow card. The sending off didn’t affect them, however, as they pressed for the leveller.

Renilson set up manager King after a good run from Stephen, but his shot was well saved by the Blair ‘keeper.

The home side came even closer on 42 minutes, but Strachan’s attempt was cleared off the line.

With time running out Vics got a deserved equaliser and again, King was heavily involved. He held the ball up in the box before slipping in Strachan who from 12 yards slammed an unstoppable shot past the ‘keeper.

The game then went into penalties, and despite Robbie saving two of Blair’s spot kicks, it was the away team who progressed to the next round.

Team: Robbie, Stephen, C Eaton, Cairney, Whitworth, Ross, Steel, Henderson, Barclay, King and Strachan. Subs: Renilson, Dunn, S Eaton, Crowe and Spink (gk)

A spokesman for the club said: “Vics showed a bit of character to come back from two goals down, but need to stop losing relatively soft goals. Vics dominated possession for long periods, but failed to make the possession count, especially in the first half.”

Vics’ next fixture will be at home to Luncarty on Saturday (October 12). The match kicks off at 2.30 p.m.

The spokesman added: “Brechin Vics are offering a special invitation to all sponsors to come and join them on Saturday, when high flying Luncarty are the visitors to Victoria Park.

“The day consists of pre-match drinks, the game, half time refreshments and post match drink all at the reduced cost of £10 per person.

“Please contact Brian Eaton on 07740 861898 or John Cairney on 01356 623942 to book your place.”