Hudsons go nap

Hudsons increased the gap at the top of the Montrose Welfare League to five points after a fine win at Broomfield on Sunday.

With the weather putting paid to fixtures for the past few weeks, Hudsons were glad to be back in the thick of things against Black Abbot - and they ran out winners by five goals to three.

Scott Ferguson wasted no time at all in putting the Brechin side ahead after only four minutes, cutting inside from the left and stabbing a shot past the reach of the Abbott keeper into the corner.

This was a wake-up call for the home side, who started pressing forward and were level after 15 minutes, after a long ball found the striker who finished well in off the post.

They took the lead five minutes later after some poor Hudsons defending allowed the Abbot striker time to score.

The game started to get a bit fiesty, and some hard tackles were going in.

One resulted in a free-kick 25 yards out, and Scott Ferguson stepped up to smash the ball home for his second and the equaliser.

However, Abbot were ahead at half-time after a run and strike from one of the midfielders.

A half-time talking to from manager Doug Laurie inspired the troops for the second half, and after a few close calls, a lobbed ball into the box from Jo Smith sailed over the keeper’s head and allowed Andy Ferguson to head in one of the easier goals he’ll score this season.

Hudsons kept applying pressure and deservedly took the lead after 70 minutes when a free-kick from deep by Scott Ferguson was met by a volley from Lewis Hutcheon at the back post.

There was then a controversial moment when the Montrose referee deemed a 50-50 challenge from Andy Ferguson deserved a red card.

Hudsons responded in a positive manner, using their anger to pull further in front.

Scott Ferguson completed his hat-trick with a fine drive from 25 yards.

Unfortunately, the Montrose referee again controversially gave Scott his second booking moments later, leaving Hudsons to play the last ten minutes with nine men.

However, justice was done when the remaining players defended resolutely and the final whistle went.

Hudsons - Calder, Walker, Southam, Hutcheon, Lindsay, F. Smith, Scott Ferguson, Steven Ferguson, McDonald, A. Ferguson and J. Smith.