Impressive performance by City despite defeat

Johnny Brown curls his shot around the wall and into the bottom corner to double City's lead.
Johnny Brown curls his shot around the wall and into the bottom corner to double City's lead.

Brechin City were left heartbroken after an 85th minute goal from Rangers handed the visitors all three points on Saturday at Glebe Park.

The first half of the match belonged to City, with the side scoring more goals past Rangers in the opening 35 minutes of the match than the Gers had conceded in the league all season.

Brechin were on the attack from the off, with captain Graham Hay heading home from an Alan Trouten corner after just five minutes of play.

Johnny Brown extended the home side’s lead five minutes later when he curled a free kick round the wall and past Cammy Bell into the back of the net.

The match at this point descended into a spell of free kicks and bookings, with the referee showing six bookings in a 10-minute period.

Rangers searched for a goal, and they were rewarded in the 25th minute when Jon Daly found himself running toward the Brechin goal with just Graeme Smith to beat.

The City ‘keeper raced off his line to close him down, but the striker slotted past to narrow the deficit.

However, City, who were putting on their best performance of the season so far, did not let the goal affect their play, and continued to press the Gers’ defence.

They got their breakthrough 10 minutes after the visitors’ goal, with Trouten capitalising on a defensive error. Nicky Law tried to clear the ball, but ended up passing it to Andy Jackson who played in Trouten, who blasted home a right footed effort to put City two goals ahead for the second time.

Eager to shake things up, Rangers replaced Robert Crawford at half-time, with Nicky Clark coming on the field of play. The substitution proved a good one, with Rangers attacking moves looking sharper than they did in the first half.

Eight minutes into the second half, the visitors reduced City’s lead when an Ian Black free-kick was headed in to the back of the goal by Bilel Moshni.

Rangers finally brought themselves level for the first time in the match in the 66th minute, with Nicky Law’s effort from just outside the box fired into the back of the net.

Brechin brought on some fresh legs in the 69th minute, with Bobby Barr replacing Andy Ryan.

Barr almost netted for City in the 75th minute, but his right footed effort was just wide of the mark.

Craig Molloy replaced Stuart Anderson in the 76th minute and he had what turned out to be City’s best chance to net a winning goal, but his header in the 84th minute smacked off the cross bar.

Rangers then when straight down the other end of the pitch and Nicky Clark headed home a David Templeton cross to steal all three points.

To compound matters for City, Alan Trouten picked up a second yellow in injury time, ruling him out of this week’s home derby against Arbroath.