It’s the joy of six as U15s return to action with superb display

Brechin City Youths Under-15s returned to league action with their first game of 2014 and turned in a superb team performance.

Three goals in each half brought a warmth to the parents and spectators who braved a freezing cold day.

Following a six-week layoff due to the Christmas period, and subsequent weather issues, the boys were understandably slow to start, but it took only 12 minutes for Brechin to take the lead.

After pressing the Lochside goal, Brechin won a corner, which was floated in by Irvine and met by Booth, who placed a left foot volley past the helpless ‘keeper.

Brechin took heart from the goal and continued to pressurise Lochside.

However, the visitors kept up the fight and also pressed the Brechin defence, but the back four of Somerville, Barreiro, Stuart, and Campbell stood firm.

The central midfield duo of Doan and Duncan also worked hard and create opportunities under strong pressure from Lochside.

With 22 minutes played, a superbly worked goal extended the home side’s lead.

Anderson picked up the ball and drove up the right wing and sent a low cross across goal – Irvine dummied, leaving the ball to Walker to drive home.

Irvine himself came close a few minutes later but the ball ended up in the side netting after a drive in from the right wing.

With a minute to go to half time, Brechin extended their lead after winning a corner on the right. Anderson floated in a ball which was met on the edge of the six-yard box by Doan, who headed into the net.

Half-time: Brechin 3

Lochside 0

Lochside came out fighting in the second half and the game opened up with both sides working hard in midfield, but only Brechin created any real chances in front of goal. Nine minutes in, Doan floated a free kick in from the left which was met by Reece Campbell, whose header was just tipped over the bar.

Brechin pressure from both wings continued and was rewarded just after the midpoint of the half.

Church-Forbes won the ball in defence and sent a searching ball up the left wing which was chased down by Anderson, finishing with a left-footed ball past the advancing goalkeeper.

Straight from the restart they won another corner which bounced around in front of the Lochside goal – finally falling to Reece Campbell, who shot high into the net for the home side’s fifth of the day.

Brechin almost went further ahead a minute later – substitute Fleck’s first touch just ending up over the bar.

Eight minutes later, they sealed a fine performance with their sixth goal from yet another set piece.

This time Anderson curled in a corner from the left, and the ball was met by Stuart, who used his body to get the ball over the line.

Team: Sim, Somerville, Barreiro, Stuart, Ryan Campbell, Irvine, Doan, Duncan, Booth, Walker, Anderson, Reece Campbell, Church-Forbes, Soutar and Fleck.

A spokesperson for the club said: “Whilst this was fine team performance, two individuals stood out on the day – Barreiro, who was, working hard in defence and chasing every ball, and Anderson in the forward line, who also took a series of fine corners as well as chasing down every opportunity.”