Arbroath SC 0, Brechin Vics 1

BRECHIN Vics did well to record a narrow one-nil victory at Arbroath Vics last midweek.

Vics had keeper Robbie back in the team and were at full strength.

The game started brightly for Vics when, in seven minutes, they created a great chance.

Easton played a great through ball to Fyfe but from 25 yards his shot sailed high over the crossbar.

ASC then dominated the next 20 minutes and Vics were fortunate to stay on level terms.

A shot from the ASC striker hit both posts before being cleared to safety.

Vics were defending for most of this period and Easton almost deflected a McNaught shot into the net but the ball narrowly missed the far post.

Robbie’s goal survived another scare when again ASC hit the post.

The last 15 minutes of the half was more even but with little in the way of chances.

Vics made two changes at half-time, with Buggins and Fullarton replacing Black and the injured Young.

The second half was only minutes old when Vics were awarded a penalty after Archibald was brought down in the box.

Easton’s spot kick was saved by the ASC keeper.

Vics were now dominating possession but were finding the ASC defence difficult to break down.

Vics were almost caught out on the break but Robbie made a great diving save to keep ASC at bay.

Vics pressure at last paid off nine minutes from time.

A long ball from defence by Buggins was knocked on by Archibald to D. Ross, who, from some 12 yards, slotted the ball past the advancing keeper.

Vics were now in control and almost went further ahead two minutes from the end, when McNaught closed down the keeper and was crudely brought him down. The keeper was correctly sent off but the resultant free-kick came to nothing.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Crowe, Young, P. Ross, Low, Russell, Black, Archibald, Easton, McNaught and Fyfe; subs - Gauld, Buggins, Fullarton, S. Eaton, Moffat, D. Ross and Trialist.

Manager Longmuir was delighted to take all three points after a very disappointing first half.

Vics were much better in the second half and, although keeper Robbie made a couple of good saves, Vics should have won by a bigger margin.

Vic’s next match is a home game on Wednesday (tonight) when Kirrie Thistle visit Victoria Park (kick-off 6.45 pm).