Brechin Vics 2 North End 2

BRECHIN Vics held promotion-chasing Dundee North End to a two-two home draw last midweek.

Vics took the lead in two minutes when Archibald scored with a great strike from 22 yards.

Only a good diving save by the North End keeper from a Buggins shot prevented Vics from increasing their lead.

North End equalised three minutes from the break, when a long ball eluded the Vics defence allowing the striker a run in on goal and he slotted the ball passed the diving Robbie.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with both sides looking to attack at every opportunity.

Vics’ keeper Robbie made a breathtaking double save in 51 minutes, the second a brilliant diving save to turn the ball over the bar.

The home side regained the lead just before the hour mark, a good turn in the box by Fyfe eluding hisn marker to slot the ball passed the diving keeper.

Vics were only able to hold the lead for two minutes when a shot from 25 yards flew past the unsighted Robbie and into the corner of the net.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gauld, Young, P. Ross, Low, Buggins, Archibald, D. Ross, Easton, Fyfe and Nicol; subs -Black, S. Eaton, Crowe and Longmuir.

Blairgowrie 2, Brechin Vics 1

Vics travelled to Blairgowrie on Saursday and lost by two goals to one in another league encounter.

The first half was fairly uneventful, with both teams finding the bumpy pitch and gusty conditions difficult to master.

As a result, much of the play was bogged down in the middle of the pitch, with very little in the way of goalmouth action.

Vics keeper Robbie did produce a good diving save from a shot from ten yards to keep the score-line blank.

The second half was only three minutes old when Blairgowrie took the lead.

A good run down the right by the Blair winger resulted in his low cross being met at the near post by a striker, who gave Robbie no chance from five yards.

This appeared to waken Vics up and, at last, they began to look dangerous.

Fyfe was unlucky just after the hour when he ran through on goal but his effort from 12 yards went narrowly past the post.

Blairgowrie retaliated and Robbie produced a good save from a shot from 20 yards.

Vics’ spell of pressure finally paid off when D. Ross played a ball to Buggins, who ran unchallenged to coolly slot the ball beyond the diving keeper.

Vics could only hold onto their lead for five minutes, when they lost a bizarre goal.

A combination of the gusty wind and bumpy pitch resulted in a free kick from far out deceiving keeper Robbie and the ball bouncing high over his head and into the net.

Try as Vics did they were unable to create any further chances.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gauld, Young, P. Ross, Low, Archibald, Buggins, D. Ross, McNaught, Fyfe and Nicol; subs - Black, Russell, Crowe, S. Eaton and Fullarton.

This was definitely an end-of-season game, with very little in the way of excitement.

Vics were well below par but, with a bit of luck, could have escaped with a share of the points.

Vic’s final league game of the season is on Saturady when Dundee Violet are the visitors to Victoria Park. (kick-off 2.30 pm).