Late goal seals victory for City with 2-0 win

Brechin City continued their unbeaten run with a 2-0 victory over Stenhousemuir at Ochilview on Saturday (December 20).

It was the homeside who threatened first, with Graeme Smith saving from Tom Walsh in the 10th minute, before the ‘keeper denied Colin McMenamin minutes later.

In the 18th minute, Bryan Hodge saw his right footed effort go just over the bar, as the home side pressed for an opening goal.

City could have taken the lead in the 21st minute, but Greg Fleming palmed Alan Trouten’s shot out for a corner.

It was the visitors who had momentum now, and they got their goal in the 32nd minute, after Ross McMillan fouled Andy Jackson in the box. The referee pointed to the spot and showed McMillan a red card.

Trouten stepped up to take the spot kick and duly converted, firing into the bottom left corner past the ‘keeper, who despite diving the right way, couldn’t prevent the goal.

There were few clear cut chances for either side following the penalty. Trouten had an opportunity for City in the 45th minute but couldn’t keep his effort on target.

Stenhousemuir almost levelled before half time when McMenamin battled past the defence, but Smith was on hand to make the save.

Half-time: Stenhousemuir 0, Brechin City 1.

City came out in the second half determined to make their one man advantage count, and almost increased their lead four minutes in. Bobby Barr played in Jamie Masson, whose strike was blocked.

Smith was called into action in the 55th minute to deny Stenhousemuir again, diving low to save McMenamin’s effort.

Barr came close four minutes later, but his effort was just wide of the target.

Despite being a man down, Stenhousemuir continued to prove a threat in the attacking third, with McMenamin having an effort cannon off the cross bar in the 72nd minute.

Greg Fleming came to his side’s aid in the 77th minute, saving first from Barr and then moments later he was on hand to turn Paul McLean’s effort out for a corner.

City put the game out of Stenhousemuir’s reach deep into injury time, with Robert Thomson firing low past Fleming in the 93rd minute to seal all three points.