League cup win for Vics

Vics were minus no fewer than seven players for this encounter against previously undefeated Forfar West End and were dealt a further blow when Dunn pulled up in the warm-up due to an Achilles injury.

The game started at a furious pace with both sides adopting all out attack.

Forfar, who only needed a point to progress to the semi-final, were looking for an early goal to settle their nerves but it was Vics who took the lead on 12 minutes.

Duff and Fyfe combined down the left and when Fyfe danced past two defenders he unleased an unstoppable shot high into the roof of the net from 25 yards.

Vics probably just about deserved the lead at this point but it stung Forfar into some concerted pressure.

First Robbie was made to produce a terrific diving save form a shot from 20 yards and from the resultant corner S Eaton produced two blocks in succession to thwart efforts from 10 yards.

Vics gradually got back into the game and Buggins was presented with a couple of chances but both were blocked by last ditch challenges.

Forfar were having more of the possession but Vics were well disciplined and created another chance when a S Eaton shot went narrowly over the crossbar.

Forfar showed their menace again on the half hour mark but Robbie produced another good save to maintain Vics lead.

The second half continued in a similar fashion with Forfar having more of the play but with Vics looking more dangerous on the break.

On the rare occasion they were breached Forfar found keeper Robbie in inspired form saving comfortably anything thown at him.

It was Vics again who created a half chance when Fyfe latched onto a Cairney pass but was crowded out as he progressed into the 18 yards box.

Fyfe again was in the thick of the action when he presented Buggins with a chance but his header was cleared to safety.

Trialist Aitken on the right was having a great game and put in a dangerous cross which was cleared just as Barker was to pull the trigger.

Forfar to their credit continued to push and had Vics defending for large parts of the half but Vics were resolute and determind.

Robbie again was brought into action but again was up to the task and saved a shot from 12 yards.

Vics were able to give Laing a run out as he recovers from injury which has seen him miss the last 3 weeks.

The last fifteen minutes were tense but Vics comfortable held out for a deserved victory.

Team - Robbie, Gauld, C Eaton, Easton, Cairney, S Eaton, Aitken, Buggins, Fyfe, Barker, Duff. Subs - Laing, S Cairney, Dunn

This was an excellent victory against an undefeated Forfar West End.

Despite being down to the bare bones player wise Vics showed real unity and worked as a team. The standards have now been set and Vics will be hoping to kick off the league season with a victory on Saturday, September 1 in their home game against Coupar Angus.

Kick off is at 2pm.