Masson and Trouten score to extend City’s unbeaten run

Jamie Masson clips the ball past Rab Douglas to open the scoring for City.
Jamie Masson clips the ball past Rab Douglas to open the scoring for City.

Brechin City brought their rivals’ unbeaten home run to an end on Saturday as they defeated Forfar Athletic 2-0 at Station Park.

Goals from Jamie Masson and Alan Trouten ensured a 2-0 win for City, and a superb beginning to the year for Ray McKinnon’s troops, and extended their unbeaten run to 11 games.

McKinnon made one change to the starting 11 that beat Stenhousemuir 2-0 two weeks previously, Craig Wighton replacing Kyle McAusland who has returned to Rangers, for the time being.

There were early chances for Forfar but Gavin Swankie and Michael Dunlop both saw their efforts narrowly miss the post.

Swankie had the ball in the net minutes later but the referee had given a foul against Dunlop.

City were dangerous on the break right from the kick-off though and they took the lead on 12 minutes, Bobby Barr bursting through the Loons’ defence onto a miscued header from Mark Baxter.

The speedy star got to the byline before sending in a dangerous cross, the ball falling to Masson who stabbed the ball past Rab Douglas on his last appearance for Brechin before returning to parent club Aberdeen.

And the visitors’ top scorer Trouten could have made it two shortly after, but the forward fired wide from Barr’s cross - the diminutive winger was causing Forfar’s defence all kinds of bother with his searing pace.

Forfar’s best chance of a leveller appeared to be from a set piece, with top scorers Swankie and Dale Hilson continuing to show something of a malaise in front of goal.

That leveller almost came from Dunlop, who fired wide with a decent headed effort following a corner. Former Loon Fusco enjoyed a great game in midfield for the away side and almost sent the visiting fans into raptures when he fired just wide from outside the box.

Douglas had to be alert just before the break when Paul McLean took a pop from long range, the goalie equal to the effort.

Paterson went close from outside the box shortly after the restart, firing a lovely effort to the back post following Mark Baxter’s lay-off, but Graeme Smith held the strike.

Dunlop went close from another header before Swankie’s 56th minute shot was blocked by the defence, young midfielder Scott Smith failing to convert from the follow-up.

Douglas then had to make a fine double save from Andy Jackson and Wighton, with the latter a constant threat to Forfar’s defence. Darren Dods almost equalised from Smith’s corner but the centre half saw his effort fly just over the bar.

Swankie played Hilson through with a stunning pass with the outside of his right foot but the young striker couldn’t control the ball and Brechin cleared comfortably.

The pair combined again shortly after, Swankie seeing his strike deflected wide before Hilson fired wide from Paterson’s throw-in.

Trouten made sure of the three points with less than 10 minutes remaining, sliding the ball under Douglas after Wighton did superbly well to get the ball into the penalty area.