McKinnon upbeat ahead of play-off second leg

Brechin City will have to make sure they win at Alloa by more than two goals if they want to make it to the First Division play-off finals.

Neither side looked likely to score in the first half, and any clear cut chances were few and far between.

Calum Elliot looked likely to be through on goal with just Michael Andrews to beat in the 12th minute, but Graeme Hay was quick to get back and clear any danger.

A Greg Cameron free-kick provided Ewan Moyes with a headed opportunity in the 20th minute, but Scott Bain in the Alloa goal had no trouble in making the save.

Alloa were reduced to attempting to score from range as the match progressed, with City quick to clear the danger when they did venture in to City’s 18 yard box.

Graeme Holmes had a long range effort deflected wide in the 25th minute, but the away side could do little with the resulting corner.

Ryan McCord almost gave Alloa the lead in the 27th minute when his shot thundered of the bar. Kevin Moon was on hand to pounce on the rebound but his effort was blasted well over the bar.

Derek Carcary had a chance in the 32nd minute, when he cut inside from the right wing and fired a left footed shot, but Bain was able to tip the ball over the bar to keep the game goalless.

It was Alloa who eventually took the lead, when McCord was brought down in the box by Hay with just five minutes left in the first half.

McCord himself took the spot kick, and Andrews was quick to get down to his right and save, but McCord was quick of the mark to fire home the rebound.

Alan Trouten had an attempted in the closing minutes of the first half to bring the sides level, but his 20 yard effort took a deflection that gave Bain time to position himself for the save.

Halftime: Brechin City, 0; Alloa Athletic, 1.

McCord had a great chance to increase Alloa’s lead in the 48th minute, but he couldn’t keep his shot on target.

Alloa doubled their lead in the 56th minute, when Kevin Moon netted his first goal for the club. There was little City could do about the goal, with Moon curling in a fine 20 yard effort.

Brechin had a chance to pull one back in the 73rd minute, but Trouten’s ball in to the box managed to hit the inside of the post and bounce back out in to play, where Alloa were quick to scramble the ball away.

McCord again had a chance to increase Alloa’s lead, but once more Andrew’s denied the striker.

Andy Jackson had a chance in the 84th minute of the match to pull one back for the home side, but James Doyle managed to clear off the line to deny City.

Speaking after the match, Brechin City manager Ray McKinnon was upbeat, commenting: “This tie is not over. I don’t think anything broke for us all through the whole night. We’re capable of going down there and scoring two, three goals. I’m looking forward to Saturday.”