Painful defeat

Johnny Brown places the ball in the bottom corner but is flagged for offside.'Picture by Derek Watt
Johnny Brown places the ball in the bottom corner but is flagged for offside.'Picture by Derek Watt

In WHAT turned out to be Jim Weir’s last match in charge, Brechin City were unable to make a one man advantage count as they endured their fourth consecutive defeat away to Ayr, writes Amanda Taylor.

Austin McCann was sent off in the 15th minute of the match, having handled the ball in the box. The referee, deemed it denied a goalscoring opportunity and so had no option but to give the centre back his marching orders.

In a surprising turn of events, Andy Jackson was presented with a chance to score and failed.

The striker, who has scored all of City’s competitive goals this season, saw his spot kick saved by the feet of Ayr’s goalkeeper Ally Brown.

Just 11 minutes later, the home side made City rue their missed chance, when Michael Moffat fired Ayr into the lead. Moffat pounced on a through ball from Ryan McStay and chipped Michael Andrew’s in the Brechin goal.

City were unlikely to level things in the first half, with their best chance coming from Jackson, whose shot went wide of the mark.

The visitors did have the ball in the net in the 42nd minute, but Jonathan Brown was ruled to be offside, compounding Brechin’s misery even further.

The Honest Men started the second half well, taking confidence from their one nil lead despite the one man disadvantage. They were rewarded for their attacking style in the 52nd minute when they doubled their lead.

It was a controversial goal, with some believing it had not crossed the line. David Sinclair’s corner was headed goal ward by Marc Twaddle but there is some debate as to whether or not Jonathan Brown cleared the ball off the line. However, the referee and linesman were not to be convinced it was anything but a goal.

Just 16 minutes later, Ayr completed the scoring. Moffat was involved in the build-up as he battled past the defence, but Andrews was able to palm away his resulting shot. Unfortunately, the ball fell to Sinclair who wasted no time in blasting the ball into the roof of the net.

Alan Trouten had a chance to nab his first Brechin goal, and a consolation, in the 80th minute. But his shot went wide.

Speaking after the match, Jim Weir said: “It’s as disappointing a result as I have ever experienced. There is a lack of spine in the team.”

And rather ominously as events panned out, he added: “It is embarrassing to lose to 10 men. It obviously puts me as manager under massive pressure. We have too many five-a-side players who look good at training but when it comes to the bread and butter they are not producing the goods.”