REPORT: Brechin City battered at Balmoor

Photo by Derek Watt.
Photo by Derek Watt.

The Peterhead bandwagon proceeded to roll on with another free scoring victory that surely means a promotion play-off spot.

Brechin City meanwhile continue to sink towards League Two.

This was a performance of clinical finishing from the home side as chances were in short supply.

But with a twin strikeforce of Rory McAllister and Shane Sutherland in dazzling form, a sniff at goal is usually followed by the sight of the net bulging.

The Blue Toon made a positive start with McAllister head flicking over a Kevin Dzierzawski corner kick in the second minute.

Soon after McAllister was shown a yellow card for simulation as he hit the deck as he went to round the Brechin keeper with referee Gavin Duncan seeing it as simulation whilst the strikers’ version after the game was that he was anticipating getting clattered by Graeme Smith.

Either way he will now have a suspension to serve.

There was little of note after that until the 25th minute when Peterhead took the lead with a simple goal.

A casual clearance by City fell to Ryan Strachan who fed Sutherland down the inside left channel and he unselfishly squared the ball to McAllister to side foot home to eventually break the deadlock.

The narrow one goal lead looked like being taken into the break but virtually on the half time whistle a free kick just outside the penalty area hit the defensive wall and broke to McAllister who fired a glorious shot high into the left side of the goal.

As neighbours, Forfar, had looked in the previous home game, Brechin have all the hallmarks of a side in big trouble with relegation beckoning and a repeat of their 3-2 victory earlier in the season looked highly unlikely.

The pattern continued into the second half with the Blue Toon pegging them back in the early stages then out of the blue, they gave themselves a lifeline.

In the 63rd minute Airdrieonians loanee Liam Watt caught the ball on the bounce at the edge of the area and sent a shot low into the bottom right corner.

The goal sparked some hope and there were a few desperate moments for the home rearguard as Brechin battled for an equaliser.

However, with 15 minutes remaining the game was put to bed with McAllister clipping a classy chip shot past the advancing Brechin keeper for his hatrick and his 30th of the season, just three short of his tally of two seasons ago when he helped fire his side to promotion.

Sutherland grabbed the goal his set up play deserved with a minute to go guiding a low shot past Smith.

Brechin’s game on Tuesday evening at home to Forfar could now be no more crucial.