REPORT: Dominant Dunfermline see off Brechin City

Photo by Derek Watt
Photo by Derek Watt

Brechin City remain at the foot of the Ladbrokes League One table after going down to a 2-1 defeat at Glebe Park from league leaders Dunfermline Athletic.

To be frank, the Fifers could have been three or four goals up in the first 20 minutes when they completely dominated the match and scorning a number of really good goal-scoring opportunities, but they had only one goal to show for their efforts - a Josh Falkingham strike after six minutes giving them an early lead.

Allan Johnston’s men were made to pay for those missed opportunities when City, against the run of play, grabbed the equaliser.

Willie Dyer swung in an inch-perfect corner from the left and Robert Thomson rose above the visitors’ defence to glance a great header beyond Sean Murdoch in the Pars goal.

This goal undoubtedly gave the home side a lift and they battled hard throughout the remainder of the half despite the visitors having by far the lion’s share of possession and pressure, and that pressure unfortunately for the home side paid dividends when the Pars restored their advantage five minutes before half-time.

They won a free-kick wide on the right and Michael Paton flighted a good ball into the box for Ben Richards-Everton who drilled a right-foot drive past Graeme Smith with the City players clearly incensed that the goal was allowed to stand, claiming that the Dunfermline defender had raised his leg far too high with Paul McLean sustaining a face injury as a result, but referee Michael Roncone would have none of it.

The pattern of the second-half followed the first with City battling hard to keep the Fifers at bay.

Faissal El Bahktoui missed a good opportunity in the 53rd minute when he drilled a low drive just inches past the post and Paton then had the miss of the match when he somehow managed to blast the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Dunfermline continued to surge forward with Gary Fusco coming to City’s rescue when he headed the ball off the line under intense pressure.

Despite the dominance of the visitors, City were battling hard and were always in with a chance with only one goal between the teams and they very nearly grabbed an equaliser with five minutes remaining, when Thomson passed the ball back in the box to Andy Jackson but Murdoch denied the City striker, smothering the ball at his feet.