REPORT: Livingston hand Brechin their first league loss as City knocked off top spot

editorial image

Brechin were knocked off of top spot in the Ladbrokes League One table after a 2-1 defeat to Livingston at the Tony Macaroni Arena on Saturday.

Brechin struggled to deal with the aerial threat and physicality of Livingston throughout the match, with set pieces a constant problem.

That was evident as early as the quarter hour mark as a long throw into the box caused all manner of problems for the Brechin defence, with Livingston captain Sean Crighton eventually turning the ball onto the post.

Moments later and it was a corner causing problems. Livingston won the first and second balls, but Liam Buchanan turned the ball wide of the post from a couple of yards.

On 33 minutes, the first goal of the game went to the hosts. A long ball over the top was touched down well by Liam Buchanan, his shot was well saved by Smith but Danny Mullen could hardly miss from two yards and opened the scoring.

Brechin’s best opening of the first half fell to Alistair Love. He swiveled well in the box and fired a low drive, which was saved excellently by Liam Kelly in the Livingston goal.

The best chance at the start of the second period fell the way of Brechin. A bouncing ball bemused the Livingston defence and allowed Ross Caldwell to run clear and round Kelly, only to see his slightly delayed effort cleared off the line.

The City were made to pay for missing the chance, with Livingston doubling their advantage five minutes later. Scott Pittman picked the ball up after a lapse of concentration in the midfield and smashed the ball in from 25 yards.

Just as the game seemed to be dying out, Alan Trouten returned after an injury and scored with nearly his first touch of the ball in 72nd minute. A delightful cross found the striker on the edge of the six-yard box and he volleyed home emphatically.

Brechin failed to build on their goal, with Livingston comfortably seeing out the remaining 20 minutes.