REPORT: Survival push continues as Brechin City win third successive game

editorial image

Brechin City’s remarkable return to form continued on Saturday as the Glebe Park side returned from The Excelsior Stadium with a valuable three points after a deserved 2-0 victory against Airdrieonians.

At a venue which has not been a happy hunting ground for City in recent times, a goal in each half saw City record a third consecutive victory – a result which, despite still being at the bottom of League One, sees a climb to the relegation play-off place and perhaps even the safety of eighth now within realistic reach.

Player-boss Darren Dods made two predictable changes to his opening line up, with Gary Fusco returning to the defence to replace the injured Darren McCormack, and striker Andy Jackson replacing loanee Liam Watt who wasn’t eligible to play against his parent club.

The majority of danger from the home side in the first half came in the form of corner kicks, and impressive long throw-ins from Alan Lithgow.

However, the newly frugal City rearguard defended resolutely to ensure Smith in the City goal was not seriously tested.

Both sides resorted to a series of long range efforts, none of which forced either keeper into a save.

City took the lead two minutes before the break when striker Jackson gathered possession inside the penalty area, and drilled a low right-foot shot past Neil Parry in the home goal, sending the travelling City faithful into raptures as the ball struck the inside of the post and nestled in the back of the net.

The second half saw a similar type of goal threat from the home side, but the hugely impressive energy and resilience shown by the entire City side eventually wore down the home strikeforce whose attempts at goal become increasingly desperate.

The points were secured for City midway through the second half with an outrageously enterprising goal. After gathering midfield possession around 35 yards out, Dunfermline Athletic loanee Lewis Spence sent a delicious lob towards goal, dipping in just under the crossbar.

The imagination and vision which sat behind this was just as commendable as the skill necessary to execute the strike.

With 20 minutes to go City gave a debut to striker Liam Coogans, latterly with Huddersfield Town, who had signed for Darren Dods’ men the day before.

In the last meaningful action of the match, City substitute Euan Smith’s fierce drive from the corner of the box drew a hand-stinging save from home keeper Neil Parry.

With nearest rivals Forfar Athletic and Cowdenbeath sharing the points at Station Park a revitalised City side headed north with the three points, satisfied in the knowledge that with only two points separating the three sides, the season’s destiny was firmly back in the hands of the Glebe Parkers.