REPORT: Warriors and City play out goalless draw in rescheduled League One clash

Darren Dods and Lee Bailey.
Darren Dods and Lee Bailey.

After this game was abandoned at half time a fortnight ago when Ochilview was deluged by snow and the Warriors a goal to the good, the no score draw in this replay on Tuesday night must have been a disappointment to Brown Ferguson and his men.

The contrast from the first game to this one was stark, however, and while the Warriors looked destined to grab all three points in the first with a modicum of ease, it’s hard to deny that a point apiece on this occasion was less than fair.

In atrocious conditions neither side lacked commitment, but there was a distinctive absence of guile at the sharp ends and a no score draw always looked on the cards.

The first period was pretty much devoid of goalmouth action and while the Warriors conceded most of possession to the visitors it was the home side that came closest.

A Colin McMenamin back heel gave Mark Gilhaney a chance at the left side of the box in 12 minutes, but the winger’s attempted curler inside the far post slipped just wide.

Lewis Spence did something similar for Brechin as the break loomed, but a minute from the interval McMenamin did well to control and hold the ball up at the half-way line before setting up the energetic Alan Cook.

Cook hit a rasper from around 28 yards and was unlucky to see the effort come back off the post.

The second half was similarly less than inspiring, but the introduction of Carlos Manzana for Anthony Marenghi in 69 minutes tipped the scales in Stenny’s favour and nine minutes from taking the field the Spaniard rattled the bar with Graeme Smith beaten from 28 yards.

Gilhaney fired into the side netting from the angle of the six yards box a minute later, but three minutes into added time Manzana looked to have nicked the points for the home side with a cracker of a drive from the edge of the box.

Smith did not seem to know much about it, but he somehow reacted instinctively to block the effort and Ferguson and his men had to settle for a point.

As the teams trooped up the tunnel trouble flared between Jamie McCormack and Brechin’s Lewis Spence, but it was more handbags than hand grenades and it seems both will escape without sanction.