Scottish Cup defeat for Under-13s

AMSoccer Club Under-13’s 4

Brechin Under-13’s 2

Brechin City Youths Under-13s travelled to Fife to take on AMSoccer Club in the Scottish Cup.

It was clear from the start that AMSoccer were a good side with their passing and movement testament to the professional coaching set up their club operates.

None-the-less, Brechin did not look out of place and were matching their opponents throughout the first half with Aarron Duncan marking the AMSoccer striker out of the game.

AM’s play did create some chances, however Brechin goalkeeper Tyler Webley dealt well with everything that came his way, pulling off one fantastic save to turn a goal bound shot round the post for a corner.

At the midway point of the first half, striker Finlay Keith was sent clear in on goal. As the recovering defender made ground the shot was struck but the AM ‘keeper sprung low to his left to put the effort out for a corner.

With two minutes of the first half remaining, disaster struck for Brechin when a cross caused bother in the area and the ball was eventually poked in for a scrappy goal for AMSoccer.

Half-time: AMSoccer Club Under-13’s 1, Brechin Under-13’s 0.

AMSoccer came out strongly in the second half and soon doubled their lead.

Tyler Webley was keeping Brechin in the game with a series of fine saves, while Gareth Hynd suffered an injury and was replaced by Jack Robertson at right back.

The entire Brechin side were working their socks off to get back into the match and were dealt a body blow when AM scored a third goal with 20 minutes remaining following a sweeping move down the left.

Brechin managed to stop the attacking flow from AM and with 10 minutes to go a tactical switch saw Fraser Jamieson move into midfield.

AM immediately struggled to cope with his strong running and Brechin were getting forward more and more.

With five minutes left on the clock Kieran Longmuir, who had enjoyed a good performance in the middle of the park, received the ball, beat his marker and struck a fine shot high into the net from around 20 yards to reduce the deficit.

Within a minute of the restart Brechin scored again when Jamieson made a surging run down the right, cut into the box and fired an inch perfect cross for onrushing substitute Olliver Yates to net from close range.

Brechin were now well on top and pushing for the equaliser as AM began to panic. As Brechin pushed forward in the last minute they were caught by a breakaway counter and AM scored with almost the last kick of the game to finally send Brechin out of the cup.

A club spokesperson said: “Brechin were up against a very good side however put up a valiant display, working so hard and refusing to accept the game was dead.

“The boys were disappointed however the management could have no complaints about the commitment of every player on the park and if they continue to show this attitude there is no reason the season won’t be a success.”