kicks off 
with rout

St James .......................2

Brechin Under-16s ........5

Brechin City Youths Under-16s ran out clear winners in their first competitive game of the new season.

However the boys did not have it all their own way.

Within five minutes of the start Brechin were two goals down - the first in four minutes came from a free kick 25 yards out.

The ball, drilled in high and hard, was parried onto the bar by Church-Forbes but the rebound was pounced upon by the advancing forwards to give St James the lead.

Straight from the restart St James regained possession and drove hard towards the Brechin goal, and drilled through the defence and past the helpless ‘keeper.

This seemed to wake up the Brechin boys and they began to come back into the game, which rallied end to end as St James tried to extend their lead and Brechin fought to reduce the deficit. The breakthrough came in 33 minutes. Church-Forbes in the Brechin goal sent a long, searching, ball deep into the St James half where Irvine collected it, beat the advancing goalkeeper, and drove the ball low into the net.

Church-Forbes and Irvine teamed up again for Brechin’s second. A similar long ball up field was again gathered by Irvine who deftly beat three defenders before slotting the ball home right on the stroke of half time.

Half-time: St James 2, Brechin Under-16s 2.

Brechin started the second half as they finished the first, driving hard at the St James defence and they almost netted a third goal.

Booth collected the ball in midfield, drove toward the St James goal and unleashed a superb shot from twenty yards only to see it tipped over the bar.

Seconds later Irvine, driving in another attack, was brought down by the St James ‘keeper for a blatant penalty. Duncan stepped up and calmly netted the ball to give Brechin the lead. The game flowed back and forth as both teams sought to gain the advantage, both midfields struggling to develop opportunities for their forwards.

The breakthrough for the visitors came from C. Thomson when he saw an opening and sent a ball through to Irvine who brilliantly slipped the ball between the legs of the advancing ‘keeper.

Five minutes later the game was effectively over after Reece Campbell cut in from the left and was brought down by the ‘keeper for a second penalty for Brechin. Thomson stepped up and drove the ball low and hard to the ‘keeper’s right.

Team: Church-Forbes, Somerville, Allison, Bareirro, Alexander, Booth, Duncan, Thomson, Walker, Irvine, Anderson, Ryan Campbell, Reece Campbell and Szyjut.

A spokesperson for the club said: “After a shaky start, Brechin got down to the task in hand and ran out clear winners. All areas of the team played well, but stand-in ‘keeper, Church-Forbes was man of the match for Brechin.”