Second half comeback hands Under-16s victory

Brechin City Youths Under-16s staged a superb second half comeback to take the points in a thrilling encounter at Dundee.

Although Brechin played well in the first half they allowed Discovery to dictate the majority of the play.

The game see-sawed during the first 30 minutes, with Discovery taking the lead after six minutes and Brechin pulling one back through a good team move involving Stuart, Irvine and Walker who brought Duncan into play – driving a low hard shot beneath the ‘keeper.

Discovery regained their lead with a ‘free header’ in the goalmouth, but this only seemed to galvanise the Brechin boys who fought back.

The equaliser came in 33 minutes thanks to a team effort with Anderson gathering the ball in his own half, driving forward and finding Walker who fired a shot toward goal, only to see it saved. However, Irvine was there to follow up and drive the ball round the goalkeeper.

Brechin’s joy was short lived, as Discovery drew into the lead with two more goals before half time.

The first was a rare error by the Brechin defence. Believing the Discovery forward was offside they stopped play, but the referee waved play on and the ball was slipped by Church-Forbes.

The second, Discovery’s fourth, was a long range shot which rocketed in off the bar.

Half-time: Discovery Under-16s 4, Brechin Under-16s 2.

Playing with the wind in the second half Brechin took control of the game and drove attack after attack at the Discovery goal but were unable to break through.

Three goals in five minutes brought the match alight.

The first saw a long kick out from Church–Forbes collected by Irvine, who deftly rounded the centre half before slipping the ball by the advancing goalkeeper.

Two minutes later Brechin equalised with the goal of the match. Somerville, on the right, sent a long throw in to Walker who flicked the ball forward where it was met by Duncan who unleashed a huge volley across goal from 25 yards leaving the goalkeeper no chance.

Two minutes later Church-Forbes and Irvine worked together again to set up Brechin’s fifth.

A superbly flighted kick out found Irvine chasing toward goal with three defenders bearing down on him. Irvine kept calm, chose his spot and shot across the ‘keeper with the ball ending up in the bottom left corner of the net.

Discovery tried to get back into the game but could not break down the Brechin midfield and defence who stood firm against the onslaught.

Brechin further extended their lead through Irvine who collected the ball on halfway and drove toward goal with the defence in hot pursuit. He deftly stopped in his tracks, leaving the defenders in disarray, before side stepping to the right of the advancing goalkeeper and slotting the ball home.

Discovery were now on the back foot with Brechin having the upper hand.

Irvine, with his fifth of the day, sealed the victory with five minutes left on the clock. Once again, Church-Forbes in the Brechin goal lofted a long ball forward only to see the Discovery centre back head back to his own goalkeeper. Irvine, however, was not to be outdone, sharply stepping up and intercepting the ball before driving it under the advancing goalkeeper.

Team: Church-Forbes, Somerville, Souter, Stuart, Ryan Campbell, Alexander, Walker, Duncan, Thomson, Anderson, Irvine, Szyjut, Reece Campbell and Booth.

A club spokesperson said: “After four games, Brechin are joint league leaders with three wins out of four.

“This is a tremendous performance for the newly promoted boys who are the top performing team of those promoted this year.”