Second half fightback hands Brechin victory

St Andrews Colts 5

Brechin City Under-16s 6

Brechin City Under-16s showed strength and resilience in pulling back a three goal deficit at half time to run out winners in this thrilling final friendly prior to the start of the new season.

Brechin started slowly, losing three goals within the first five minutes of the game. An own goal and two bad defensive errors allowed St Andrews to surge into the lead.

However, the visitors were not about to let St Andrews run away with the match. With just eight minutes on the clock, the ever present Irvine picked up a ball in midfield and drove straight toward the St Andrews goal and calmly slotted the ball under the advancing ‘keeper.

An excellent run down the left by Stuart ended with a stunning cross which was met on the volley and driven home by Anderson to bring the boys within one goal of the home side.

Straight from the restart Brechin’s hopes of equalising were dashed as St Andrews drove an attack and a long searching shot was mishandled by the Brechin ‘keeper and ended up in the back of the net.

With just two minutes to half time, St Andrews went further ahead. A cross ball from the right was tipped past the ‘keeper for their fifth of the day.

Facing what seemed to be an uphill struggle, Brechin came out fighting in the second half and were rewarded with just two minutes played.

Ryan Campbell, the substitute ‘keeper, sent a long ball through to Anderson who drove down the right wing, cut in, and fired the ball past the helpless ‘keeper.

Twenty minutes into the second half, Brechin scored twice within a minute to draw the tie level. Goal number four came from an Anderson corner - deftly slipped past the ‘keeper by Bareirro.

Straight from the restart, Brechin regained possession, Reece Campbell heading through to Irvine who cut to his weaker left and slipped the ball under the ‘keeper.

Brechin finally took the lead with just five minutes left on the clock. Reece Campbell, who was having a great game working tirelessly in midfield, collected the ball on the left of the penalty area and chipped a well flighted ball to Walker who met it cleanly, heading it past the ‘keeper into the net.

Team: Alexander, Somerville, Bareirro, Stuart, Ryan Campell, Thomson,Irvine, Duncan, Booth, Szyjut, Anderson, Walker, Souter and Reece Campbell.