Single goal victory for Vics

Brechin Vics 1, Lochee Harp 0

BRECHIN Vics earned three league points courtesy of a single goal home victory over Lochee United on Saturday.

The homesters were dealt a blow when C. Eaton failed a late fitness test.

Buggins and Fyfe were the only changes to the previous week’s starting eleven as Vics looked for their third victory in a row.

Vics started the brighter and had the first chance of the game when Fyfe had a shot from 25 yards saved by the keeper.

They came close again in the 12th minute when an Eaton volley from 25 yards was just wide of the post.

Eaton created a chance for Fyfe two minute later but his shot was wide of the target.

Although Vics were on top, a break a way from Harp produced a good save by Robbie in the Vics goal.

Gourlay, Easton and Cairney were defending comfortably against Harp’s attack.

The Vics midfield of Gauld, P. Ross, S. Eaton, Buggins and Scott were dominating their opponents but were finding the Harp defence difficult to break down.

As the interval approached Vics were able to create a couple of chances.

The first came when S. Eaton dispossessed the Harp centre-half and, as he drove in on goal, his shot was saved by the Harp goal keeper.

There was still time for Fyfe to have a chance but his shot from 20 yards sailed over the crossbar.

The second half continued with Vics on top. Fyfe had a shot spilled by the keeper but the ball was cleared to safety.

Vics next chance came just before the hour when P. Ross played a great ball to Buggins inside the box but the ball was cleared of his toe just as he was about to shoot.

Soon after, McNaught played Fyfe in on goal but he screwed his shot wide.

Midway through the half Harp were reduced to ten men when their right back was sent off for comments to the referee.

Fyfe again had an effort, but this time his goal-bound shot was deflected for a corner.

The resultant corner was met by Scott but his header was just wide of the target.

Harp were still in the game, however, and only a great Robbie save kept the score-line level.

Scott again tried his luck but his shot was saved by the keeper.

Vics eventually took the lead 15 minutes from time. S. Eaton hit a 20-yard free-kick which was turned behind by the keeper for a corner-kick.

When the corner came in it was cleared by the Harp defence as far as Gauld, who hooked the ball back into the box for Scott to send a looping header over the Harp keeper and into the back of the net.

Vics made a couple of changes at this point, with Cooper and Laing replacing Gauld and Eaton.

The pattern of play did not alter, with Vics pressing for a further goal.

Harp were getting more and more frustrated and ended up having a further two players sent off in the closing ten minutes.

Vics continued to press but could not add to their tally. The best effort came from McNaught who had a free-kick saved by the keeper.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gourlay, S. Eaton, P. Ross, Cairney, Easton, Gauld, Buggins, McNaught, Fyfe and Scott; subs - C. Eaton, Cooper, Laing, Rodger and Robertson.