Six appeal seals tie v Saints

editorial image

Bonnyrigg Rose 0, Brechin City 6

Brechin City proved last week’s draw was a mere blip, when they trounced Bonnyrigg Rose 6-0 in their William Hill Scottish Cup third round replay, writes Amanda Taylor.

Manager Ray McKinnon made a few changes to the line-up from the previous week, with Garry Brady and David McKenna making way for Gary Fusco and Derek Carcary.

City started the replay much stronger than they did when the two sides met at Glebe Park, and after just 11 minutes, their attacking play paid off.

The visitors were awarded a free kick after Carcary was fouled and Kurtis Byrne stepped up to take it from around 20 yards out. His right footed effort sailed in to the top left of the net, leaving goalkeeper Michael Burgess little chance of saving it.

Five minutes later, City’s left-back, Jonathan Brown, got in on the action as he netted the first goal of his City career. Byrne played a pass in from the left wing and Brown’s right footed finish seemed to glance off a Rose defender in to the bottom left of the goal.

Alan Trouten then made it three goals in eight minutes. Carcary crossed the ball in for Andy Jackson, but the prolific striker failed to make a connection but Trouten was on hand to tap in from close range.

City continued to press forward and found themselves four goals up after 33 minutes, with Trouten again finding the back of the net. Craig Molly fed the ball through the Rose defence to Jackson, who timed his run perfectly. His resultant shot, however, was saved by Burgess, but the ‘keeper couldn’t hold on to the ball and it was Trouten who got on the end of it to finish the well worked attack.

Half-time: Bonnyrigg Rose 0; Brechin City 4.

Bonnyrigg were forced to substitute their ‘keeper three minutes into the second half after he picked up an injury, but his replacement, Steven Ellison, wasn’t to fare much better as City continued to dominate the match.

Just five minutes into Ellison’s appearance, he was having to fish the ball out of the net as Jackson got in on the goal frenzy. Carcary had a decent effort, but his shot hit the post and Jackson was on hand to fire the ball into the bottom left of the goal.

Carcary did get his name on the scoresheet in the 71st minute. Brechin had a corner headed away, but the ball fell to Carcary who hit a sublime right footed volley from the edge of the box.

The goal capped a fantastic performance for Carcary, who made his first start of the season.

To compound their miserable afternoon, Bonnyrigg had Liam McKenna sent off in the 75th minute for violent conduct, after he raised his hands to Ewan Moyes.

Speaking after the match, Brechin City manager Ray McKinnon said: “Bonnyrigg played very well last Saturday and the level of their performance perhaps surprised our players but the team were fully aware of what they had to do today.

“They were extremely professional and clinical and they dominated the game from start to finish. The lads knew what they were up against today. They had to match Bonnyrigg’s endeavour and commitment and they certainly did that from the very start.

“We got off to the perfect start, scoring three goals within the first 20 minutes and we never really looked back from then on. Our passing and movement were good and I’m very pleased with the way we performed.

“We now look forward to the fourth round tie against St Mirren, which provides a great opportunity for us. We will go into the tie as massive underdogs but if we raise our game then anything can happen.”

City are due to travel to St Mirren on December 1, for their fourth round clash.