Six-goal thriller as spoils are shared

Opening goal : Alan Trouten slots the ball past Callum Reidford to open the scoring for Brechin.
Opening goal : Alan Trouten slots the ball past Callum Reidford to open the scoring for Brechin.

Stenhousemuir 3

Brechin City 3

Brechin City extended their unbeaten league run to seven games after they shared six goals with Stenhousemuir in an enthralling and incident-packed match at Ochilview, writes John Hoey.

Given the fact that the previous three meetings between the clubs this season had produced no less than 17 goals – nine for the Warriors and eight for City – another high-scoring encounter looked to be on the cards, and that’s exactly as it turned out as the teams scored three goals apiece.

However, in addition to the goals, this dramatic game saw two red cards (one for either side) and seven bookings, while the overall handling of the game by referee David Somers incurred the displeasure of both sets of supporters.

City started well and grabbed the lead after just six minutes, when a good Derek Carcary pass gave Alan Trouten a clear run on goal, and the midfielder – who had scored a hat-trick in the last game against Stenny – made no mistake from around 10 yards out.

City were playing well and putting pressure on the home defence, but an uncharacteristic defensive error cost them the equaliser after 20 minutes.

Former Forfar full-back Greg Ross made ground on the right and crossed into the box.

The City defence seemed to have the ball well covered, but hesitancy between ‘keeper Michael Andrews and central defenders Ewan Moyes and Graham Hay allowed Martin Corcoran to slip in between them and slot the ball home.

Another defensive error saw City go behind 10 minutes into the second-half.

A lack of communication between Andrews and Hay saw the central defender with plenty of time and space prod the ball past his own ‘keeper into the net.

This goal gave the Warriors the confidence to go and get a third goal, and it came eight minutes later when striker John Gemmell, who has been a real thorn in the side of the City defence this season, collected the ball just outside the penalty area before blasting an unstoppable shot beyond the reach of Andrews.

At this stage of the game, City looked dead and buried, but to their credit they never gave up and they managed to fight back to reduce the deficit with 20 minutes remaining when skipper Ewan Moyes poked the ball home from close-range.

City now had the upper hand, and went all out to level the match and they scored a dramatic equaliser in the 77th minute when David McKenna collected the ball at the edge of the penalty box before firing a superb left-foot drive into the top of the net.

City now looked to go on and grab the winner, but their hopes of snatching a late victory were dealt a body-blow in the 82nd minute when midfielder Gary Fusco was sent off by referee Somers for a second bookable offence and he was followed into the dressing-rooms right on the final whistle by Gemmell who was shown a straight red card for elbowing Hay.