Stenhousemuir 2-2 Brechin City: Dods sees City off bottom following draw

Photo - Derek Watt.
Photo - Derek Watt.

Brechin City just failed to make it three straight victories after coming away from Ochilview Park on Saturday with a share of the spoils after a 2-2 draw.

The result lifted City from bottom spot in the Ladbrokes League One table and although the City players would have been disappointed not to have taken all three points, a draw at the end of the day was a fair result.

The Warriors definitely had the edge in terms of pressure and possession in the opening 45 minutes, although City missed a great chance to grab the lead after 19 minutes when they were awarded a penalty-kick after Robert Thomson had been brought down in the box by Stenny keeper Jamie Barclay.

However, the keeper made immediate amends when he saved Willie Dyer’s spot-kick.

This spurred the Stenny players on and they scored the opening goal in the 34th minute when Alan Cook volleyed the ball into the net from close-range.

City fought back after the break and they looked as if they would be heading for their third league win on the trot after they scored two goals within three minutes to take the lead.

Andy Jackson grabbed the equaliser in the 71st minute when he collected a back-header from Dene Shields before slotting the ball home and it was 2-1 City just three minutes later when substitute David Weatherston fired home, again from close-range, after a period of sustained pressure from the visitors.

City looked as if they would be heading for victory but a goal with virtually the last kick of the ball ensured that the hosts earned a point.

Mark Gilhaney played a short pass direct from a corner to Cook who swung a great pass into of the path of Carlos Mezana-Martinez at the edge of the box and he sent a blistering first-time volley past Graeme Smith in the City goal.

City boss Darren Dods said: “I’m pleased that this result lifts us from the bottom of the table but I’m also disappointed that we couldn’t quite make it three wins in a row.

“The players did really well to come back from a goal down to go 2-1 into the lead and I really felt that we should have been able to see the match out.

“Unfortunately, we switched off at a corner right at the end which led to Stenny’s equaliser.

“A victory would have taken us that bit closer to the teams in the middle of the table but we just have to get on with things and try to take as many points as we possibly can from the next quarter of the league campaign.”

Brechin City: Smith; McLean, Dods (Perry, 45), Bates, Dyer; Tiffoney (Weatherston, 60), Molloy, Fusco; Shields, Jackson, Thomson