Under-15s fight well in cup tie battle

Brechin .......... 1
Montrose ...... 3

Brechin City Youth’s under-15s lost out to higher league opposition in this hard-fought Tommy Clark Cup Second round tie.

Straight from the start, Brechin showed no fear and drove hard at the Montrose defence – Walker just failing to beat the offside trap when straight through on goal.

Further pressure finally brought a result in eight minutes – Duncan sending a searching ball through from midfield which was chased down by Booth – turning round the advancing ‘keeper and slotting the ball home.

The game took on an ‘end-to-end’ pattern with Montrose testing the Brechin defence down the left hand side. However, the defensive pairing of Somerville and Allison kept them at bay.

Brechin also tested the Montrose defence but lone striker Walker could not capitalise on excellent service from Doan, Church-Forbes and Duncan in midfield to extend their lead.

Montrose changed their attack and were rewarded with an equaliser in 30 minutes - a searching run down the right wing ending with a low cross into the box - passing three defenders before being driven low pat Sim in the Brechin goal.

Half-time: Brechin, 1; Montrose, 1.

The second half started as the first, with Brechin testing the Montrose ‘keeper – Campbell taking an early shot from 20 yards.

The game was evenly matched with both sides striving for the advantage – finally falling to Montrose in 12 minutes when a long ball down the right was chased down and driven home from 20 yards.

Due to the holiday period, Brechin were missing a striking partner for Walker, who was fighting tirelessly up front and chasing every opportunity, but unable to capitalise.

On the half hour, Brechin went further behind – the defensive offside trap just failing to catch the Montrose forward, who drove through and turned the ball round Sim in the Brechin goal.

Brechin fought bravely to try to come back into the game but finally ran out of time.

A spokesman for the club said: “Although losing out in the end, Brechin fought well with all the boys giving 100 per cent on the day.”