Under-16s lose in cup clash

Brechin City Youths Under-16s travelled to Forfar for the John Clark Cup quarter final game with a squad depleted due to injury for the quarter final.

Brechin enjoyed some early success, pushing Forfar back and it was no surprise when they opened the scoring in the seventh minute. A free kick was flighted in by Thomson and headed on by Barreiro to Booth who flicked it deftly on to Anderson who, in turn, slotted the ball into the back of the net.

This seemed to wake Forfar up and they began to take advantage of the wind and force pressure on the Brechin goal. Following a succession of corners Forfar finally found the net in the 11th minute to draw level.

Sim in the Brechin goal was being kept busy making a series of outstanding saves which were topped off with a superb penalty save from a dubious decision by the referee.

Brechin were not letting the Forfar team settle and showed some outstanding play. Irvine, leading the Brechin attack, forced some great saves from the Forfar ‘keeper.

Half-time: Forfar 1,

Brechin Under-16s 1.

The second half started with Brechin having the bulk of pressure and they looked certain to take the lead when Duncan, clear through and with an open goal, was unfairly tackled by the Forfar defender. This was a clear penalty, but the referee failed to award the spot kick.

Forfar seemed to take strength from this and took the lead with a breakaway goal in the 50th minute.

Brechin responded well and lifted their game and again the Forfar ‘keeper kept at bay shots from Irvine, Duncan, Szyjut, Anderson, and a superb 35 yard effort from Somerville which was tipped over the bar.

A further dubious decision by the referee incensed the Brechin support - Ryan Campbell in the Brechin defence was caught in a clear late tackle which ultimately resulted in the need for the player to attend hospital. However, the referee allowed play to continue and, to add insult to injury, the ball was crossed to a player in a clearly offside position who netted for Forfar’s third goal.

By now the rain had turned to snow which covered the pitch and the call for a coloured ball had to be made.

Despite the conditions both teams were still going for goals, Forfar finally scoring a fourth in the final minute of the game.

A club spokesperson said: “Both teams served up a cracking game in such difficult conditions and deserve credit for giving it their all. Sim in the Brechin goal ran out a close winner for man of the match but many of the defence and midfield players came close with their own performances.”

Team: Sim, Somerville, Soutar, Barrerio, Ryan Campbell, Alexander, Anderson, Thomson, Reece Campbell, Booth, Duncan, Irvine and Szyjut.