Under-17s get back to winning ways

Carnoustie Under-17’s 2

Brechin Under-17s 5

An away victory in their midweek fixture ensured Brechin City Youths Under-17s returned to winning ways, following a great team performance against Carnoustie.

Brechin were first out of the blocks, immediately attacking the Carnoustie defence and gaining several corners, with a Dylan Peters header being tipped over the bar and the following corner being cleared off the line from a Peters’ toe poke.

On every Brechin attack, the home defence seemed to lack composure clearing the ball out of play. On 10 minutes, Harry Barclay skinned the fullback, set up Kevin Lamb who fired a thunderous shot, only for the ‘keeper to palm the ball away to the advancing Douglas Crowe, who also had his effort saved. The ball eventually fell to Ewan Wilson at the back post, who tapped in the first goal.

Within a minute, the visitors increased their lead, Barclay again beat the defender, laying the ball back to Cameron Watt who unleashed a 25 yard shot, leaving the ‘keeper no chance as the ball sailed into the top right corner.

Crowe and Conor Mullin were dominating in midfield, giving Carnoustie very little time on the ball, and once Crowe was in possession his drive and determination continued to lift the Brechin side, creating space and deft calculated passes.

On 34 minutes, Barclay, still giving the fullback a torrid time hit, a first time shot striking the post, with the ball falling to Crowe who could only strike the ball just wide of the goal.

On 40 minutes, Carnoustie had their first effort on goal after a mix up in the Brechin defence, the striker not believing his luck, fired wide right of the goal.

Half-time: Carnoustie Under-17s 0, Brechin Under-17s 2.

Brechin immediately increased their lead from the start, Barclay and Lamb playing a one-two and finding an unmarked Crowe, who calmly slotted in Brechin’s third on his debut for the club.

On 55 minutes, Barclay was brought down after playing in Watt, who was clean through on goal only, for the referee to blow for a foul and not allow any advantage. The resulting freekick was comfortably saved after deflecting off the Carnoustie wall.

Just 10 minutes later, Carnoustie broke away with Peters, trying to defend at all costs, obstructed the forward just inside the box. The referee judged it to be a penalty, and showed Peters a yellow card, to the disbelief of the homeside.

Up stepped the striker, only for Gregor O’Neill to magnificently dive to his left and save the penalty.

Carnoustie became more involved and from a resulting corner their striker jumped up with Marc Gilbert, both heading the ball and the Carnoustie player falling in a heap to the ground. The referee blew, pointed to the penalty spot and Gilbert was also shown a yellow.

This time, the Carnoustie striker chose the other side of the goal and fired past O’Neill.

On 71 minutes, Crowe easily picked up possession in midfield, beat two players and with a defence splitting pass found Wilson, who immediately drove the ball across the box to the late arriving Barclay who smashed home at the back post.

Moments later, Carnoustie made the most of a pinball moment in the Brechin defence and scored a sloppy second.

With 10 minutes remaining, Watt saw a carbon copy of his earlier goal re-emerging only for the ‘keeper to clear and Mullin’s rebounding effort from 30 yards drifting wide of the target.

On 83 minutes, the energetic Masson burst through the defence only to be hauled down the Carnoustie defender and have penalty given. Up stepped Masson, easily beating the ‘keeper only for the right post to momentarily save Carnoustie.

The home team couldn’t cope with Masson, Crowe played him in, before coming back inside, chipping the ball to Boyes who volleyed over the bar.

With five minutes left Gilbert intercepted a long Carnoustie ball, drove forward into the opposing half unchallenged and slotted in Masson, who ran through the defence and poked home Brechin’s fifth.

Team: O’Neill, Winton, Peters, Black, Gilbert, Mullin, Barclay, Watt, Crowe (man of the match), Wilson and Lamb. Subs: Masson, Hodds, Boyes and Leitch.