Under-17s suffer defeat after late goal

Dryburgh Under-17s 2

Brechin Under-17s 1

The match started off very even, both sides tussling with the swirling side wind at the Lochee pitches.

Both ‘keepers were tested early on, with Cameron Watt volleying just wide after six minutes.

The centre of the park saw most of the play with possession being won and lost by both teams, with Conor Mullin heavily involved.

On 16 minutes, Dryburgh advanced quickly down the right firing in a shot on the run, only for returning captain Dylan Peters to somehow clear off the goal line and keep the scores level.

Brechin cleared their lines and broke up the park with Marc Gilbert finding Cameron Stout who immediately slotted the ball into trialist Harry Barclay, who had his shot saved by the ‘keeper.

On 29 minutes, Barclay laid off the ball to the advancing Kevin Lamb who was instantly chopped down just outside the box by the home defender, and a yellow card issued by the referee. Barclay stepped up driving the ball straight into the keeper’s arms.

Two minutes later, Dryburgh took advantage of a quick throw in finding their forward, who struck the ball towards the top right of the goal only for Gregor O’Neill to palm away across the goal face, only for the ball to be nodded home by an unmarked player to give Dryburgh the lead.

The game continued to be dominated within the centre circle, until Barclay with his back to goal, received the ball and delicately flicked the ball through not only his own legs but that of the rooted defender and onto Lamb, who took the ball in his stride and coolly finished to level the scores.

Half-time: Dryburgh Under-17s 1, Brechin Under-17s 1.

Illness prevented Peters returning for the second half and was substituted by Cameron Masson, with Watt moving into central defence and Ian Black taking over the captaincy.

On 67 minutes following an injury to Stout, Brechin made a double substitution with Boyes and Hodds replacing Stout and Craig Winton. For the next 20 minutes, both sides cancelled each other out with very little chances being made.

With less than two minutes remaining, Dryburgh played a long ball over the Brechin defence of Black and Mitchell Dye, where it fell for the home team’s substitute forward who drilled it low and somehow past O’Neill in at the near post.

Brechin quickly took the resulting centre eager to get the more than deserved point, to no avail as the referee blew for full time.

Team: O’Neill, Dye, Peters, Black, Gilbert, Barclay, Mullin (man of the match), Watt, Winton, Stout and Lamb. Subs: Masson, Hodds and Boyes.