Vics are six hits

Have your say

Coupar Angus 3, Brechin Vics 6

BRECHIN Vics travelled to Perthshire for their final league game of the season, and hit six to clinch all three points.

Vics made two changes, with C. Eaton and Gauld replacing the not fully fit duo of Fyfe and Laing, who were able to take their place on the bench. The visitors took the game to Coupar from the kick-off and took the lead after two minutes.

S. Eaton layed the ball off to Scott who, from 20 yards, smashed an unstoppable shot past the diving keeper.

Vics had another chance a minute later when Easton played McNaught in on goal but the keeper made a diving save at his feet.

It was all Vics in the early exchanges and another S. Eaton cross found Buggins but his shot at the near post was blocked.

The resultant corner found Gauld, whose header from 12 yards produced an excellent save from the Coupar keeper.

Vics were dealt a blow when, in a rare Coupar attack, they were awarded a free-kick some 25 yards from goal.

A great McBride effort high into the corner of the net left keeper Robbie with no chance.

Vics responded and Gourlay was just wide from a header from an S. Eaton cross.

Slack play from Vics almost resulted in Coupar taking a shock lead in the 25th minute.

A long clearance was missed by the defence and, when the striker lobbed Robbie, C. Eaton just managed to get back and clear the ball off the goal-line and away for a corner.

Vics settled again and further long-range efforts from P. Ross and Easton produced saves by the Coupar keeper.

Vics took a deserved half-time lead in 43 minutes when Gourlay was brought down in the box and a penalty kick was awarded.

Cairney stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

Vics continued on the offensive at the start of the second half when Easton had a 30-yard effort saved by the keeper.

McNaught was next to try his luck but shot wide after being set up by Easton.

Vics extended their lead in the 55th minute.

S. Eaton beat his man in the box and squared for Easton to score from five yards. Three minutes later it was four-one, this time Buggins the provider, playing a great through ball to McNaught, who slotted past the keeper from 18 yards.

Vics should have extended their lead just after the hour when a McNaught effort hit the post only for S. Eaton to knock the rebound over the bar. The visitors were dominant at this stage and Easton tried his luck from 25 yards but his shot was easily saved.

Vics made it five twenty minutes from time with a carbon copy of the fourth goal.

This time S. Eaton played McNaught in on goal and again he finished with a shot from 18 yards into the corner of the net.

Coupar pulled a goal back on 72 minutes after Gourlay was adjuged to have fouled the Coupar striker in the box and a penalty was awarded. McBride beat Robbie from the spot. Coupar pulled another goal back to make the score five-three, when Easton was harshly penalised for a foul in the box and another penalty was awarded.

McBride again did an excellent job and scored from the spot.

Vics still pressed forward and again Easton had a shot saved by the keeper.

McNaught should have completed his hat trick two minutes from time, but headed an S. Eaton cross wide of the target from eight yards.

Vics completed the scoring in the final minute, when Cooper smashed a volley high past the keeper from an Easton cross from the left.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, P. Ross, Cairney, S. Eaton, Gauld, Easton, McNaught, Buggins and Scott; subs - Cooper, Laing, Fyfe, Rodger and Robertson.