Vics cruise to victory in Forfar

Forfar Albion 1

Brechin Vics 4

Brechin Vics were involved in the only game in the region to have survived the weather. The pitch was in good condition considering the heavy rain of the previous couple of days.

Vics were first to threaten when C. Eaton set up Barker, but his shot was wide of the target.

Barker had another attempt on four minutes after being set up by Strachan but this time his shot was too high.

Albion were dangerous on the break and had a couple of chances but poor finishing by their strikers failed to test Robbie.

Vics had another chance on 15 minutes when good link play between McWilliam and Barker gave Dunn a chance but his shot was wide.

They were getting to grips with Albion’s style and were beginning to dominate and had attempts from Barker and Dunn saved.

They eventually took the lead on the stroke of half time when C. Eaton played a corner to FULLERTON inside the box and he duly dispatched the ball into the net from 12 yards at the second attempt after his first shot had been blocked.

Half-time: Forfar Albion, 0; Brechin Vics, 1.

Vics extended their lead two minutes into the second half after another good move.

C. Eaton and Barker combined down the left to set up Strachan who saw his shot blocked into the path of DUNN who slammed the ball into the corner of the net from 18 yards.

They were rampant at this stage and a minute later Barker had a shot saved by the Albion ‘keeper before a Buggins follow up shot was blocked for a corner.

C. EATON took the flag kick and sent the ball high over the ‘keeper and into the roof of the net.

McWilliam was next to have an attempt on goal on 52 minutes when sent clear but his shot was saved by the custodian.

Vics scored their fourth on 60 minutes when McWilliam played in BARKER who from 12 yards coolly slotted the ball into the net past the advancing ‘keeper.

Two minutes later it should have been five when McWilliam played in Barker but he was pushed wide as he rounded the ‘keeper and shot into the side netting.

Robertson had a great chance to extend their lead but his shot was well saved.

They had the ball in the net again when C. Eaton scored from five yards, but his effort was ruled offside.

Albion got a consolation on 82 minutes when EASTON scored from the penalty spot after Darar was adjudged to have fouled in the box.

Team: Robbie, Buggins, Darar, Gourlay, Cairney, Dunn, Fullerton, Strachan, McWilliam, Barker and C. Eaton. Subs - S. Eaton, Fyfe. Robertson, Crowe and Fyfe.

After a fairly even first half Vics dominated proceedings in the second period and ran out worthy winners. They had chances to add to their tally but failed to do so.

The only disappointment was the conceding of a late penalty which resulted in their failure to keep a clean sheet.

Brechin Vics have a much harder game on, Saturday, March 16, when they will be at home to Montose Roselea at Victoria Park. The match is scheduled to kick off at 2.30 p.m.