Vics defeat second placed Newburgh

Brechin Vics were back in action after being idle last week and travelled to Fife to meet second placed Newburgh.

Vics started on the ascendency and Strachan produced a save from the ‘keeper in the second minute.

They came very close on 10 minutes when Dunn played King in on goal but his lob from 25 yards hit the cross bar and went behind for a goal kick.

Newburgh came back and almost scored on 14 minutes when a Ferguson shot from 20 yards hit the crossbar and bounced on the line before ‘keeper Robbie grabbed the loose ball.

Vics’ best chance of the half came on 30 minutes when Dunn laid the ball off to King whose shot from 18 yards flew wide of the target.

Half-time: Newburgh 0. Brechin Vics 0.

Newburgh started brightly and Harris should have done better but screwed his shot high over the bar.

Vics worked a chance on 52 minutes when King sent McKay down the right and when he played it into Dunn, the ‘keeper made a diving save at his feet.

They took the lead on 57 minutes when McKay intercepted a pass before squaring to Dunn who from 16 yards slotted the ball past the advancing ‘keeper.

The game was flowing from end to end and Young was next to try his luck on 75 minutes but his shot from 30 yards was high over the bar.

Vics were looking the more likely to score and Young again came close this time heading a corner wide from 16 

Their second goal eventually came on 80 minutes when a strong run from Strachan created a chance for Fertacz, who beat a couple of players before slotting the ball into the net from 12 yards.

Newburgh ensured a nervy finish for Vics when on 87 minutes Gray sent a shot, which took a wicked bounce, past Robbie from 18 yards.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, Wilson, Whitworth, Ross, Strachan, McKay, Steel, Dunn, King and Young. Subs: Fertacz, S. Eaton, Renilson, Gauld and Main.

A club spokesperson said: “This was another good away victory for Vics. In a hard fought game they always looked the more likely team and deserved the three points. Vics are at home on Saturday, September 27, when they meet Forfar West End in the GA Engineering Cup. Kick off is 2.30 p.m.”