Vics edged out

Brechin Vics 2, Montrose Roselea 3

BRECHIN Vics went down by the odd goal in five at home to Montrose Rosela on Saturday.

Roselea were first to threaten and Aitken should have done better but blasted over the crossbar from ten yards.

Vics gradually got into the game and were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out but wasted the situation with a weak effort.

The home side took the lead in the 12th minute.

A long ball from Cairney cleared the Roselea defence, allowing Young to run through on goal and coolly clip the ball over the advancing keeper and into the empty net.

The game was swinging from end to end, with both sides attempting to play football in the difficult conditions. Vics extended their lead in the 18th minute with an excellent goal.

Young beat two players on the right before slipping in McKenzie who, from 20 yards, smashed an unstoppable shot high into the roof of the net.

Vics were on top at this stage and almost increased their lead after C. Eaton played McNaught down the left and his cross just failed to find the unmarked Scott.

Young was next to try his luck but his free-kick from 25 yards was saved by McLeod at the second attempt.

Roselea pulled a goal back on the half hour through Collier. Vics lost possession in midfield, which allowed Collier a run in on goal and he scored from eight yards.

This gave Roselea a lift and only a great Robbie save from a Whyte header ensured Vics led a the interval.

Roselea came at Vics in the second half, playing with the wind and sun at their backs.

Robbie again kept Vics in the game with another great save just before the hour.

Vics weren’t out of it and McNaught had a shot from 20 yards saved by McLeod after good play down the right involving Scott and Gauld.

Robbie again was called into action when he saved with his feet after Webster was put in on goal.

Roselea were dominating possession at this stage but the Vics rearguard of Gourlay, P. Ross, Cainey and C. Eaton were holding firm.

The visitors eventually got on level terms nine minutes from time when Collier was allowed to turn in the box and smash a shot into the corner of the net from eight yards.

Both sides set about getting the winner and it was Roselea who scored in 85 minutes, with Whyte getting the final touches on a free-kick into the box, although the Vics defenders were claiming the use of an arm.

Vics still had time to create a chance when an Easton cross into the box just failed to find a Vics striker, with the Roselea defence at sixes and sevens.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, P. Ross, Cairney, Valentine, Gauld, McKenzie, McNaught, Scott and Young; subs - S. Eaton, Cooper, Easton, Buggins, Robertson and Fyfe.

This was a much improved performance from Vics, who were a match for their promotion-chasing opponents.

With a bit more luck they may have been able to get a share of the points which they probably deserved.

Vics have another very difficult game this Saturday, when they travel to meet Kirrie Thistle (kick-off 2.15 pm).