Vics edged out at home

Brechin Vics 1, Dundee North End 2

BRECHIN Vics lost out by the odd goal in three at home to Dundee North End on Saturday.

Vics were without Mckenzie, McNaught and Valentine due to injury and work commitments.

They drafted in S. Eaton, Easton and Buggins into the starting line up.

North End started the brighter and had Vics pushed back for the first 15 minutes.

The Vics defence of Gourlay, Cairney and C. Eaton were getting to grips with the North End attacks and restricted any attempts to long range which failed to trouble Robbie in the Vics goal.

Vics first chance was created from Easton but his dangerous cross from the left just failed to pick out Scott at the back post.

Easton again tried his luck but his shot from 25 yards was just wide.

The play had settled down at this point, with the home midfield of Gauld, S. Eaton, Easton and Young being well marshalled by the experienced Ross beginning to get the upper-hand.

Vics were caught out on 25 minutes when a break down the left caught out the defence and the North End striker touched the ball into the net from five yards.

The home side again came close when excellent play down the left from Young resulted in his cross being cleared as Buggins looked to pounce.

Vics were in a determined mood at the start of the second half but were shocked to lose a second goal two minutes in, when again a cross into the box found the unmarked striker who volleyed past Robbie from eight yards.

To their credit continued they to try and play passing football and take the game to North End and it almost paid dividends when, on the hour mark, Scott crashed a great shot off the crossbar with the keeper well beaten.

Easton had a couple of efforts but both just failed to find the target.

Vics intoduced Rodgers and Fyfe for S. Eaton and Buggins. It was Fyfe who should have pulled a goal back for Vics but his volley from 12 yards after a good Rodger cross was just too high.

Cooper replaced Young as Vics went all out to get back in the game.

In 80 minutes a Cooper cross caused a scramble in the North End box, with first Scott seeing his shot blocked before an Easton header was saved by the keeper.

Vics eventually pulled a goal back with five minutes to go, when an Easton free-kick from 25 yards squirmed past the keeper and into the corner of the net.

Vics attacked for the remainder of the game but could not muster a clear-cut chance to draw level.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, Cairney, P. Ross, S. Eaton, Gauld, Easton, Buggins, Scott and Young; subs - Cooper, Rodger, Fyfe and Robertson.

“Vics put in another encouraging performance against promotion hopefuls North End and there are signs that positive results are just round the corner,” said a club spokesperson. “Although North End had the better of the first half Vics were stronger in the second and looked as if they might get a share of the points, but it wasn’t to be.”

Vics travel to Blairgowrie on Saturday, March 17 with a kick off of 2.30 pm.