Vics edged out of tourney after tense penalty shoot-out

Whitburn 1 Brechin Vics 1

(Whitburn won 5-4 on pens)

BRECHIN Vics were edged out of the East of Scotland Cup at the first hurdle on Saturday.

They went down five-four in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished one-one.

Vics made the long journey south minus long term injury victim Young and the unavailable Easton.

The game started at a frantic pace, with both sides showing their intent with attacking football.

Vics first effort came in nine minutes when D. Ross had a shot from 25 yards sail over the crossbar.

Fifteen minutes in and a good move down the right saw McKenzie play in Gauld, who beat his marker before crossing to Buggins who, in turn, saw his effort from 12 yards go wide of the target.

Vics were forced into a change when D. Ross suffered an accidental elbow in the eye and was unable to continue. He was replaced by S. Eaton.

Whitburn came more into the game and were pushing Vics back but their rearguard of Robbie, Gourlay, P. Ross and Cairney were defending confidently.

Whitburn did breach the Vics defence and keeper Robbie had to produce a great double save from headers to keep the score-line blank.

Vics took the lead in 44 minutes with a well-worked goal. Strachan swung a free-kick from the left, finding Paul Ross at the  back post and he rose highest to head into the net from six yards.

Whitburn came storming out of the traps in the second half and King had an effort from 25 yards which went wide of the target.

Whitburn equalised in the 50th minute after Vics failed to clear a corner. The ball broke to Mooney, who smashed the ball high into the roof of the net from six yards.

Whitburn almost took the lead on the hour mark, when Mooney crashed a free kick off from 25 yards off the Vics crossbar.

Vics came back into the game and a Gauld cross found Buggins whose, header from 12 yards was saved by the keeper.

Another good move in 65 mins saw Strachan play McNaught in on goal but his shot from 18 yards narrowly went wide of the target.

With the game heading towards penalties both sides produced chances that could have won the game.

Robbie produced a good save before McNaught again was put clear this time by McKenzie but his shot from 20 yards sailed wide of the target.

Whitburn had the final chance two minutes from time but Valentine was on hand to clear the ball to safety.

Strachan, Mckenzie, McNaught and Cairney all scored for Vics before Valentine had the chance to win it but his penalty went just wide of the target after sending the keeper the wrong way.

On to sudden death, with Whitburn scoring before Cooper had his effort saved by the keeper.

Brechin Vics - Robbie, Gauld, Cairney, P. Ross, Gourlay, Valnetine, McKenzie, Buggins, McNaught, D. Ross and Strachan; subs – S. Eaton, Cooper, Robertson and C. Eaton.