Vics fail to get points at home

Have your say

Vics welcomed back Cairney, C. Eaton and Fyfe but were minus Stark, Fotheringham and long term injury victims Gauld and Ross. The pitch was in good condition considering the flooding on Friday and both sides started strongly.

In the first minute a long Robbie clearance found Reilly but his effort was blocked. Vics came even closer on 10 minutes when an S. Eaton free kick from 25 yards came crashing back off the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

Five minutes later Easton headed narrowly wide from eight yards from an S. Eaton corner. Downfield were dangerous however and Robbie had to be at his best making a great save on 25 minutes.

The Spiders took the lead on 30 minutes when a 20-yard free kick was smashed low into the corner of the net.

Downfield were now on top and extended their lead on 42 minutes when there striker was played in and slotted past the advancing Robbie. Only a great Robbie save on the stroke of half time prevented Vics from falling further behind.

Half-time: Brechin Vics 0, Downfield 2.

Downfield again had the upper hand at the start of the second half and only another great Robbie stop prevented a third goal.

But a moment of poor defending by Vics presented another chance for Downfield and this time the striker had the easiest of finishes to score from six yards. Vics made a couple of changes on 60 minutes with C Eaton and Whitworth replacing Dunn and Laing.

The home side started to believe and began to pose a threat. Great play by Whitworth presented Buggins with a chance but from six yards he managed to screw his shot wide of the target.

A corner caused mayhem in the Spiders’ box and somehow their defence was able to clear after an almighty scramble.

Whitworth was in the thick of the action again but this time his shot was cleared off the line. Vics eventually got a goal back on 80 minutes when a Whitworth cross was met by Robertson who headed home from four yards.

It was all Vics at this stage and try as they might they could not get back into the game.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, Young, Easton, Cairney, S Eaton, Laing, Dunn, Reilly, Buggins, Robertson. Subs C Eaton, Whitworth and Fyfe.

Vics dominated the last 25 minutes but it was a case of too little too late. The ability is there it is just a case of believing. Vics have a home Scottish Cup game against Coupar Angus on Saturday, October 20. Kick-off 2.30 p.m.